Discuss Charging for boiler fault finding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Folks,

Do you charge for time spent diagnosing boiler faults? I believe it should be charged for but it seems a lot of customers expect me to be doing this for free like quotes.. Clearly there are two appointments involved, diagnosis and repair usually.

What do you all do?

Charge for the diagnosing but don`t say exactly what the problem is otherwise the customer goes and buys the part(s) but tell them the visit is foc or at a reduced cost if they accept the quote and you return to complete the job then factor it in to your quote.

Last edited:
Charge for it! You don't go privately to a consultant for diagnosis of your illness and then expect only to pay for the next visit for treatment, - do you?

I`m saying charge and offering the enticement to get the job then adding the reduction made back in to the quote in such a way that the customer can`t see it so it`s a win win situation unless you don`t want the job of course.

Last edited:
when boilers are broke and your there looking at what the problem is its very rare (never in my experience) that you don't get the job of repairing it

when boilers are broke and your there looking at what the problem is its very rare (never in my experience) that you don't get the job of repairing it

Good on yer however how many times have we heard of customers buying and fitting the part themselves or getting their friend to do the job once they know what the fault is if anyone is daft enough to tell them which I`m sure you don`t.

Last edited:
that's not unheard of. I posted the other day about a similar scenario which end with a boiler change

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Charging for boiler fault finding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock