Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Cast Iron Rads - Fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattpaints

Hi all,

We'd like to take the plunge and replace our old rads with some 'reclaimed' ones from what used to be Coventry Demolition. However, I'm a bit unsure about how these chunky rads would fit with our existing pipework and I thought I'd ask here before deciding whether to place an order.

I've been told by the supplier to allow 72mm plus skirting depth to find the middle of the bush ends which basically comes to about 120mm from the wall, due to the lip on the bottom of our skirting boards. I don't want to redo the pipework coming out of the floorboards, so I'm wondering whether there is some straightforward pipework that can be done to get our current pipes (which sit very close to the wall) to fit with the new rads.

I was told to allow 45mm at each end when calculating the size of radiator that I order, but I was also wondering if allowing a bit of extra space between the existing pipes and the bush ends (ie, getting a shorter radiator length) might make the job a bit easier?

I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me on this.

Many thanks
Matt

IMG_20161102_203227.jpgIMG_20161102_203322.jpg

Seem to recall problems from other threads re leaks and trv valves fitting the rads etc from people doing this.

I'm wondering whether there is some straightforward pipework that can be done to get our current pipes (which sit very close to the wall) to fit with the new rads.

Shorter rads wouldn't really make a huge difference - if there is the space vertically, the rad tails could be cut very close to the floor and neat offsets put in, which can look quite elegant. Not perfect but the best of a bad job. Or you could box the pipework in under the rad.

Thanks both.

Masood - I have two questions! What do you mean by 'tails'? And, by offsets, do you mean slots cut into the foot of the skirting board?

Cheers
Matt

the tails are the pipes coming out of the floor going to the radiator. offsets are bends in pipework to bring the tails to where they need to be for the new radiators

I'm glad I asked! Can't see the image on my laptop, but I can picture what you mean. That sounds like a good solution. I'll have a think.

Thanks
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast Iron Rads - Fitting question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Could do with some advice, might be fitting some radiators for a family friend. I've done loads of freebies for friends and family and still...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've sourced 2 new rads that we’re looking to get installed in place of our 2 existing ones and have been quoted £350 for a direct swap...
Replies
Views
Hello, We were due to have an air source heat pump installed on a grant scheme on Monday, with radiator size upgrade, but retrofitting using the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm really stuck with an issue I have with our soliud fuel back boiler system and my novice understanding is pretty much out of ideas so...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone, I'm looking for a little advice so I can try and save a bit of money this winter (especially considering the new prices!) I have an...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock