Discuss Capping steel gas pipe buried in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauland

Our Gas guy has detected a leak and using a sniffer, the leak seems to come from a section of buried pipe.

This pipe is made from steel and we could probably get by capping off the pipe at or near a "T" junction ( removing the leaking pipe from the buried network ).

The Gas guy has suggested that it's not possible to cut the pipe and then cap it, but we'll need to unscrew the pipe from the T junction and put a cap in place of the pipe.

As you can imagine, access is going to be very tight - I'm wondering if it's even going to be possible to unscrew the pipe at all.

If the pipe cannot be capped off, we have a major job - rerouting gas pipe to the kitchen and living room.

I may end up digging channels in the kitchen floor to allow new pipe to be laid and it's not a task I'm looking forward to.

Anyone managed to cap a pipe in similar circumstances?

(Before anyone asks, I'm up for the donkey work, I'm just trying to make the Gas guy's job as easy as possible ).

I do trust him, it doesn't mean someone has a great idea, or some suggestion that turns a nightmare job into a simpler one.

Our Gas guy has detected a leak and using a sniffer, the leak seems to come from a section of buried pipe.

This pipe is made from steel and we could probably get by capping off the pipe at or near a "T" junction ( removing the leaking pipe from the buried network ).

The Gas guy has suggested that it's not possible to cut the pipe and then cap it, but we'll need to unscrew the pipe from the T junction and put a cap in place of the pipe.

As you can imagine, access is going to be very tight - I'm wondering if it's even going to be possible to unscrew the pipe at all.

If the pipe cannot be capped off, we have a major job - rerouting gas pipe to the kitchen and living room.

I may end up digging channels in the kitchen floor to allow new pipe to be laid and it's not a task I'm looking forward to.

Anyone managed to cap a pipe in similar circumstances?

(Before anyone asks, I'm up for the donkey work, I'm just trying to make the Gas guy's job as easy as possible ).

if he can't get to the T , get him to cut pipe , re thread , then cap

How on earth will you thread onto a buried pipe. Probably easier to cut grind and weld a plate on. But that's just stupid if you can get to a tee and thread in a plug.

How on earth will you thread onto a buried pipe. Probably easier to cut grind and weld a plate on. But that's just stupid if you can get to a tee and thread in a plug.

Theres a thing called digging ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Capping steel gas pipe buried in concrete in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi Some people (not plumbers) have advised me that it's not such a good idea to a) Have 4 x 90deg bends in a sewer pipe and b) Encase these pipes...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock