Discuss Can't find Filling loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zoee

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance, I'm not a plumber, but going mad trying to work out what's going on with the pressure with my Forroli Tempra 12/18 system..

The pressure is less than 1 bar and I can't find the filling loop anywhere! I've been up in the attic to check to see if it can be topped up up there, and there's just 1 main water tank but no obvious valves to top it up.

I've checked inside the boiler, opened it up, looked everywhere and can't find the drain or refill valve either. Can anybody suggest were it could be located?

I'm really lost - I've had a look underneath the boiler too..

Thanks everyone - if anyone can help it would be really appreciated..

Usually there is a flexible braided stainless steel hose that is connected from the incoming cold pipe onto the Central Heating return pipe. This is called a filling loop.

Where this flexible connects at one. or possibly both of its ends, there will be an isolating valve, this has a plastic bit that acts as a handle, by turning this handle water under pressure from the mains enters the Central Heating circuit and raises the pressure, this increase will show on the pressure gauge.

Are you trying to increase the pressure that is registered on the gauge because to boiler is not working?

Also, depending on who installed the appliance, there may not be plastic bit but just a screw driver slot, should this be the case be careful the flat bladed screw driver does not slip off the slot and go through your hand .

The installer may have taken the filling loop off as this is a water bye law requirement. If the boiler is in the atic, the installer may have fitted the filling loop in a more convenient place, such as under the kitchen sink.

When you locate the isolating valves turn them slowly so you dont over pressurise your system.

Best of luck

Tim

Hi Tim

Thanks for the reply yes l am trying to increase the pressure cause the boiler is not working. It starts up fine then after about 1 minute it shuts off and the red flashing light that indicates no flame starts bliking.

The boiler is located in the kitchen and most of the pipes in the house are behind false walls so its hard to see anything other than knocking a hole in the plaster board have looked behind the kitchen sink and traced most of the pipes but can't see very much.

Would it be worth taking out a panel behind the boiler to trace the cold water pipes?

Thanks again

just because its not working doesnt mean its the water pressure it could be a lot of different things and if you cant find a filling loop then you certainly wont be able to work out why its not working

Like Newby 1 says, it does not sound like low pressure is the cause of your boiler problem in that on most of the boilers I have worked on the boiler wont do anything at all if the low water content switch is not activated by sufficient system pressure.

Also have you got the manual as this may give a clue as to which line of attack a Registered Gas Bloke will need to take. Unfortunately it seems its not simply getting a bit more water pressure, the pump might be duff or the fan could be siezed what ever, I am sure you will understand, its hard sorting out boilers with our eyes closed.

It may be worth calling Ferroli to find out how much a fixed price repair is, but it may be that you know some one who has a trust worthy boiler bloke on their Christmas Card list.

Book an Engineer0871 559 29 24​

Technical Advice0871 559 29 27​

Sales Enquiries0871 559 29 20

Accounts Enquiries0871 559 29 30
Main Switchboard0871 559 29 31​

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
baker's idea is right, except for the fact most engineers from these companies, wont attend if the primary circuit is not full and vented, there is a cold water supply to the combi, and electricity is present.
i would try to find your fill loop, (my mother in laws was under the floorboards 10 metres from boiler !) check the flooring around your chimney breast, check below floor in an old airing cupboard and check in the floor around boiler. if you cant find it then install a new one before you call the above mentioned engineer - else you might end up paying twice.
happy hunting.

If the pressure is under 1 bar, you need to fill it first and then see if you still have the problem or you may be paying money you don't need to.

The filling point will be somewhere accessible, it's just a matter of finding it.

reading this post has reminded me of the first combi we ever fitted ,a vailant t3w,we piped it all up and turned on the main tried to vent the rads and nothing yep no one told us you had to use a filling device two stop cocks and two tees later we were up and running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't find Filling loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock