Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

My sister in law's parents had their boiler installed by British Gas 2 years ago.

At the time the customer said "I want the boiler connected to the consumer unit", they didnt do this and connected it to a socket nearby via a fused spur.

British gas came and did the service last month and condemned the boiler as it was connected to the socket via a fused spur.

Where does he stand, what can he do.

I didnt really listen but he said it was something to do with the socket not being a double pole socket or something.

maybe the gas people on here would understand better.

They condemmed the boiler as it was switched to a switched, fused spur?

That's odd isn't it. Is there more to this that you haven't been told?

possibly, he said something about it being a single pole socket, like i say wasn't really listening was thinking about something else.

it looked fine to me, but i aint no sparky. he might not of told me the full story as was only doing quote to add a towel rad, wasnt there long, just wanted others opinions

He came round to service the boiler and condemmed it as it isn't a double pole isolator?

Double pole means in switches the neutral off as well as the live. Useful if there is reversed polarity or a neutral fault.

However seems heavy handed. Just get them to get a sparky to fit the correct isolator. The part is about a fiver and for a sparky it is about 5 minutes work.

Or argue the case with them...

Or wire the boiler to a plug with a 3amp fuse and just plug it in to the nearby socket. How can they condem that? Safe isolation by just pulling the plug!

No. There is definitely a lot more to this or some miss informed, poorly trained Engineer has been running a mock with has paperwork.

Any Electrical issues are dealt with by means of a safety advice notice where BG will advise an Electrician is consulted.
ie. No fused spur or plug to directly isolate the boiler.
This is only an advisory notice.

I doubt they condemned it, they probably left some ncs paperwork without explaining the classification and the customer has got worried.

Sounds like they wanted an early finish and get his sales figures up all in one hit

complain to british gas customer care, get some advice from a heating professional to back up and threaten to contact MPs etc, british gas' reputation is getting shafted left right and centre, they get away with murder

If the socket is itself supplied via a spur then the installers should not have added a another spur to this.

You can spur a fused switching unit from a socket that is part of a ring main.

Maybe this is the issue. However as has been posted previously this is not a gas safety issue and I would have thoughbest had been brought to the home owners attention as an advisory note. Certainly wouldn't condemn an appliance over this.

there was definetly a condemned notice on it, definetly think I dont have all the facts after replies, thanks guys

If the socket is itself supplied via a spur then the installers should not have added a another spur to this.

You can spur a fused switching unit from a socket that is part of a ring main.

Maybe this is the issue. However as has been posted previously this is not a gas safety issue and I would have thoughbest had been brought to the home owners attention as an advisory note. Certainly wouldn't condemn an appliance over this.

You can spur off a fcu on the fused side

My sister in law's parents had their boiler installed by British Gas 2 years ago.

At the time the customer said "I want the boiler connected to the consumer unit", they didnt do this and connected it to a socket nearby via a fused spur.

British gas came and did the service last month and condemned the boiler as it was connected to the socket via a fused spur.

Where does he stand, what can he do.

I didnt really listen but he said it was something to do with the socket not being a double pole socket or something.

maybe the gas people on here would understand better.

If British Gas installed the boiler, then they are responsible for any faults related to the installation.

I would suggest not getting side-tracked by the in's and out's of the recent current assessment by the BG engineer, because the bottom line is that BG are responsible whether the assessment is right or wrong.

Put in a complaint to: [email protected] re the faulty installation, and let them sort out whether the recent assessment is right or not.

If BG have put the boiler out of action, then include a claim for the cost of alternative heating and general inconvenience, say ÂŁ10 per day.

I think they will find that the compensation claim will ensure a swift reaction from BG.

If BG fail to sort things out in a reasonable period of time, tell your friends to send a copy of their complaint to: [email protected]

[FONT=&amp]BBC Watchdog also have an open file on British Gas, so that is another option to consider.

I've been arguing with BG over problems arising after they did work on my central heating system - been going on for the last 3 months, and still not sorted.

I think a lot of people assume that they will get a reliable service involving a high standard of workmanship if they pay the generally higher fees charged by British Gas, but this certainly has not been my experience of them.

In my opinion, you are better off with an independent gas fitter who comes recommended by someone who knows their work, or use a fitter who is Check-a-Trade registered.[/FONT]

its an installation defect, riddor them if they think is that unsafe they have turned it off.

calm down you lot and un twist your panties!! blokes probably gone in and left an ncs notice not explained it properly. bg safety advise notices for ncs/ar/id are all on the same sheet of paper. i would say his lack of explaining has made the situation worse tough. wouldnt even be an ncs to be honest as to comment on an electrical installation youd have to be electrically qualified. but if bg fitted it bg should put it right!

it is quite funny they have found fault with there own installation, but not funny to the person who forked out a fortune for it.

Sounds like the engineer got a bit confused when he saw a plug socket in a bathroom ??

Info given is a bit vague:crazy:.

I worked for BG for 17 years, left them 9 1/2 years ago, sounds a bit harsh to start slagging them off when we have hardly evidence what was actually said/done.

Im all for giving BG A KICKING FOR RIPPING OFF CUSTOMERS, but without the full story :sleeping:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for a gas safe engineer to complete a boiler and cylinder install in Ringwood BH24. There was a delay of approx 8 months from the install...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock