Discuss Boiler Scrappage Scheme petition in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MickW

Hi everyone

I have created a petition urging the government to create a 'Boiler Scrappage' scheme, similar to the scrappage scheme for cars, but aimed at replacing some of the millions of old, inefficient gas boilers out there.

It would be very good for the environment and would save householders money on their gas bills and, most importantly for us, it would create a demand for boiler changes which would be good for the plumbing and heating game.

You can read a bit more about it here and there is a link to the Number10 e-petitions website where you can sign if you think it is a good idea.
Trade Only

If you just want to sign it straight away, here is a link to the petition:
Petition to: work with manufacturers of central heating boilers to create a 'Boiler Scrappage Scheme'. | Number10.gov.uk

I hope you're all busy!!

Best regards
Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldnt bother if the goverment agreed to this they would have to set up a commitee choose a prefered partner to work with , the prefered partner would then choose a managing company to run the scheme they would in turn pass the job to companies with a minimum turnover of 10 million and they would then sub it out to small companies for basic wages every one would get a crap boiler and a equally crap install
if you want an example take a look at the warmfront scheme
unless the grants are paid direct to the applicant the only people making money will be those running it

i wouldnt bother if the goverment agreed to this they would have to set up a commitee choose a prefered partner to work with , the prefered partner would then choose a managing company to run the scheme they would in turn pass the job to companies with a minimum turnover of 10 million and they would then sub it out to small companies for basic wages every one would get a crap boiler and a equally crap install
You quite like the idea, then! :)

if you want an example take a look at the warmfront scheme
unless the grants are paid direct to the applicant the only people making money will be those running it

Well put steve,was wondering how to reply,will just second what you have said,as can not put it any better myself :)

I think would just be better if the goverment gave 50% off any boiler install, ours cost quite a lot from British Gas (would have gone to another one, but person across the street did but they made a bodge job)

A little O/T but a friend of mine was able to get funding to sort out his CU and various electrical bits in his home.

The council said they wanted 2 quotes.

They had the name of a sparky/firm and he asked me to quote.

Needless to say the other firm got the work, even though i was ÂŁ250 cheaper.

Therefore, the council will generally just use the firm that does their work.

Same sort of thing i expect with other schemes..

Well, all the comments so far have been pretty negative :(

The idea has been very well received everywhere else - at least I am trying to do something to stimulate our industry.

Ah well ............

Despite the negative comments, I thought I'd give you a quick update on the 'Boiler Scrappage' petition.

Since I last posted, we have a Campaign Manager, a Press Officer and a website reheatbritain

In the trade, Worcester, Baxi, PTS, Grahams and Pimlico Plumbers amongst many others are actively supporting the campaign and we are now getting increasing support from environmentalists.

It's early days, but I'm sure the petition will get the 500 signatures that will ensure a response from the government this week and, after that, who knows.

Anyway, that's it - if you like the idea and want to sign, there is a link on the website.

Good work Mick!

lets hope it works and get men back out to work big money or not.

Boiler scrappage scheme

Anyone heard details. I imagine it will be done so that only the big companies can access the scheme.

Re: Boiler scrappage scheme

That doesn't bother me smogg, I've never lost an estimate to bg, thats not just price. Had them not forefilling part L before, leaving out T.R.V's, used job for the last corgi inspec I had, passed bg estimate to inspector, said he wanted it, never heard back. You work for them dont you?, whats there word on it.

if i could get the prices BG get id offer a thousand back

Yes true, but long may bg continue

That doesn't bother me smogg, I've never lost an estimate to bg, thats not just price. Had them not forefilling part L before, leaving out T.R.V's, used job for the last corgi inspec I had, passed bg estimate to inspector, said he wanted it, never heard back. You work for them dont you?, whats there word on it.

word on?? scrappage scheme 300 quid saw the death of 300 trade in discount.. part L is a bit of a p155 take because our salesmen are called advisors who advise the customers who have the right to refuse best advice.. therefore not breaking part L on our part!!

Help-Link are trialling a scrappage scheme, I'm not sure how it works, but I've heard their adverts on the radio. They give a ÂŁ500 grant towards a new boiler, if you've got a old non condensing one.

Help-Link are trialling a scrappage scheme, I'm not sure how it works, but I've heard their adverts on the radio. They give a ÂŁ500 grant towards a new boiler, if you've got a old non condensing one.
it works by charging 500 more to start with

Good work Mick!

lets hope it works and get men back out to work big money or not.

Thanks!

Over 1,200 signatures now :)
Hi Hugh

As you were the only one on here to give me any encouragement at all, I thought you would be interested to know that we have done it!

In his Pre-Budget Report tomorrow, the Chancellor will announce a ÂŁ300 per boiler scrappage scheme. I don't have any more details at the moment, but I will still be working to ensure that small business will be able to benefit.

My proposal is that the grant should go to the householder. He can then get competitive quotes from any Gas Safe installer, who will write off the job as complete so that the grant gets paid.

If the scheme isn't like this, or something similar, I guess I'll have to carry on campaigning :)

That's great news, its nice to see that you didn't give up, and made the effort which will benefit us all hopefully.

That's great news, its nice to see that you didn't give up, and made the effort which will benefit us all hopefully.
Thank you.

I'm talking to the Dept of Energy and Climate Change about how it will work. As far as I am concerned, the householder must get the grant so that he can get competitive quotes from any Gas Safe installer, giving small businesses a good chance to benefit.

I'll post details of the scheme on here as soon as I get them.

The government have an ideal twin opportunity with the boiler scrappage scheme. One is as said replacing old boilers.
But also to provide work for small businesses.

Boiler sellers and manufacturers would have to hold their prices down to the pre announcement prices as would the small installer companies, or come up with a unit price plus agreed extras.

Lets be honest, there seems little point in a government giving ÂŁ200 million to a scheme if all it does is add another layer of administration and manufacturers, suppliers and installers think its charge what you like time, the governments paying.

Warm Front as far as I can tell, charge a fortune and try to pass on the extra cost to the clients who are often some of the poorest people. That surely is not how its supposed to work?

Its easy to let running costs get out of hand and find your running costs dictating your charges.

It requires a certain amount of fiscal know how and industry knowledge to keep these schemes going and get the most out of them for the end user.

The object is to get the job done, share the cash about, acting as an industry trade stimulus as well as address green issues, not make loads of money out of it.

Anyway in a decade or two gas may not be the main fuel, what then another round of grants?

Don't get me wrong I am all for the scheme, but would like client value to come out of it.

using the phrase "fiscal know how" in a post thay starts with the words "the goverment"
doesnt seem to ring true to me bernie

The government have an ideal twin opportunity with the boiler scrappage scheme. One is as said replacing old boilers.
But also to provide work for small businesses.

Boiler sellers and manufacturers would have to hold their prices down to the pre announcement prices as would the small installer companies, or come up with a unit price plus agreed extras.

Lets be honest, there seems little point in a government giving ÂŁ200 million to a scheme if all it does is add another layer of administration and manufacturers, suppliers and installers think its charge what you like time, the governments paying.

Warm Front as far as I can tell, charge a fortune and try to pass on the extra cost to the clients who are often some of the poorest people. That surely is not how its supposed to work?

Its easy to let running costs get out of hand and find your running costs dictating your charges.

It requires a certain amount of fiscal know how and industry knowledge to keep these schemes going and get the most out of them for the end user.

The object is to get the job done, share the cash about, acting as an industry trade stimulus as well as address green issues, not make loads of money out of it.

Anyway in a decade or two gas may not be the main fuel, what then another round of grants?

Don't get me wrong I am all for the scheme, but would like client value to come out of it.
I share all of your concerns and they are all addressed IF the scheme allows the householder to receive the ÂŁ400 grant.

The householder can then get competitive quotes from Gas Safe registered installers and that may be a one man band or British Gas. The main thing is that there is competition - that will keep prices down.

That is what I am asking the Dept of Energy & Climate Change to do, thereby ensuring that the householder will definitely benefit along with small business.

Well, we got everything that the campaign was calling for :)

I know some of you had doubts that the scheme would benefit small business, but now we know that it will.

The householder gets guotes and sends the winning estimate to EST and they get a voucher for ÂŁ400, which is redeemed after the job is finished.

The householder is guaranteed a competitive quote and small business will benefit, which is exactly what I was asking for.

Thanks to those on here who have supported me.

Mick

The government statement says the boiler scrappage scheme will help keep 250,000 people in work.. Not my figures, THEIRS.

The statement also says the scheme will have ÂŁ500,000 for new boilers.

Er.....work out how many new boilers you get for theat and tell me for how long it pays 250,000 people.

Utter nonsense.

It needs a proper scheme, along the lines of/avoiding the pitfalls of those described by other posts in this thread.

It's like the Microgeneration Certification Scheme that no one can afford to join..... but they say 'helps' renewables.

I could use a rude word.

The government statement says the boiler scrappage scheme will help keep 250,000 people in work.. Not my figures, THEIRS.

The statement also says the scheme will have ÂŁ500,000 for new boilers.

Er.....work out how many new boilers you get for theat and tell me for how long it pays 250,000 people.

Utter nonsense.

I could use a rude word.

So they are going to give 1240 people ÂŁ400 off there old boiler under scrappage scheme
That equates to each boiler replaced on the the ÂŁ400 scrappage scheme will keep 201.65 people in work for 10 mins up to a day and 1/2
So thats,labour for fitting,suppliers ,transporation,manufactor and 196 for administering the scheme

Sounds about right to me :)

Here are the facts, rather than incorrect figures that people who can't be bothered to find out for themselves, post:

• The grant is ÂŁ400 and goes straight to the householder.
  • The householder can get quotes from any Gas Safe registered installer thereby ensuring that small businesses will benefit from the scheme.
  • The scheme is initially for 125,000 boilers and this will save approximately 150,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year.
  • The scheme is being administered by the Energy Saving Trust, so the administration cost will be minimal.

A little O/T but a friend of mine was able to get funding to sort out his CU and various electrical bits in his home.

The council said they wanted 2 quotes.

They had the name of a sparky/firm and he asked me to quote.

plumber in temecula

And then there were none

[DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Home-improvements-and-products/Heating-and-hot-water/Boiler-Scrappage-Scheme-NOW-CLOSED"]Boiler scrappage scheme[/DLMURL]

Managed to do 5 boiler changes under scrappage scheme,finished last one today,nothing that would not have been replaced anyway,spent a lot more time on phone listening to potential customers humimg and arring over whether to replace or not,then not bothering for ÂŁ400 saving,think there was a bit of abuse but maybe there will be another round

Managed to do 5 boiler changes under scrappage scheme,finished last one today,nothing that would not have been replaced anyway,spent a lot more time on phone listening to potential customers humimg and arring over whether to replace or not,then not bothering for ÂŁ400 saving,think there was a bit of abuse but maybe there will be another round
I'm glad you got some benefit from the scheme, particularly as you were one of those with a few doubts when I first posted about it. ;)

The feedback that I am getting is that many, many installers have got work specifically because of the scheme and boiler manufacturers also tell me that demand has been increased dramatically. The industry, generally, has been boosted as it has raised the public awareness of the savings that can be made by replacing an old crap boiler.

For my part, I have been a little overwhelmed by events since it was announced, not least by the fact that I was invited to participate in the Dept of Energy & Climate Change meeting to finalise the details of the scheme.

My only disappointment is that the government stopped at 125,000 boilers, but you never know, we may get some more money into the scheme after the election.

Anyway, if you are interested, the story of how the campaign started and came to fruition is here Business Magazine (page 28)

Thanks again to all on here who have been supportive over the last few months.

Hi Mick

I still have reservations about scheme, but that is for another day
But in mean time would add ,I am very pleased that, we the one man band, was given a even playing field in the scheme with the big boys and would recognise that this scheme has been great for public awareness of energy efficiency and savings to be made on basic running costs
I read the article in Business Mag and take my hat off to you and respect the way you saw the issue through, ,spending your own time publicising it all over, including posting here and am glad you are getting the recognition you deserve in this matter and wish you all the best for the future

IMHO

Hi Mick

I still have reservations about scheme, but that is for another day
But in mean time would add ,I am very pleased that, we the one man band, was given a even playing field in the scheme with the big boys and would recognise that this scheme has been great for public awareness of energy efficiency and savings to be made on basic running costs
I read the article in Business Mag and take my hat off to you and respect the way you saw the issue through, ,spending your own time publicising it all over, including posting here and am glad you are getting the recognition you deserve in this matter and wish you all the best for the future

IMHO
Thank you & all the best to you!

Bloodyhell well done, didn't realise it started here! I work with my dad in the north west and have done for 6 years. This year there has been a significant increase in demand for us to install new boiliers and I put this largely down to the boiler scrappage scheme. We have done 4 or 5 from the grants but also it seems to have got people thinking and replacing their old boilers even if they do not recieve a government grant! A Big thank you from us!

Bloodyhell well done, didn't realise it started here! I work with my dad in the north west and have done for 6 years. This year there has been a significant increase in demand for us to install new boiliers and I put this largely down to the boiler scrappage scheme. We have done 4 or 5 from the grants but also it seems to have got people thinking and replacing their old boilers even if they do not recieve a government grant! A Big thank you from us!
Thanks.

I don't think there is now any doubt that the scheme has made people realise the advantages of replacing their old inefficient boilers and that has got to be good for our industry.

I just wish we had got an extension to the scheme in the budget..

The campaign is going well!

We have massive industry support, increasing Green and political support and more than 1000 signatures on the petition.

Check out the website to see what people are saying about the campaign: Reheat Britain | The campaign for a boiler scrappage scheme

There is also a Reheat Britain Facebook group: Reheat Britain | Facebook

congratulation this is the result of your good work and will.i hope u'll get more success n find more good results.

unless your names brittish gas you find it hard to get any info at all on the scrappage scheme. just when it first came out i tried to get a phone number to call up and get info on it( i could only get an email address ) to contact.
however when i emailed them i was sent back offers from brittish gas :confused: and this was the scrappage schemes email address
i now no how you go about it but i also no the whole thing was all geared up for bg etc :mad:

unless your names brittish gas you find it hard to get any info at all on the scrappage scheme. just when it first came out i tried to get a phone number to call up and get info on it( i could only get an email address ) to contact.
however when i emailed them i was sent back offers from brittish gas :confused: and this was the scrappage schemes email address
i now no how you go about it but i also no the whole thing was all geared up for bg etc :mad:
No, it was NOT 'geared up' for the big firms at all!

The householder could use ANY Gas Safe registered installer and, to my knowledge, many, many smaller businesses got jobs through the boiler scrappage scheme.

All the information was easily available on the Energy Saving Trust website or by phone, as was publicised in thousands of press articles, so I can only assume that you didn't try very hard to find out about it.

To be wary of it before the details were announced is understandable, but to slag it off after it was so successful is totally out of order.

If we can get it re-instated after the election, I will post news on here as I did during the campaign, after it was announced in December and, with full details, when it started in January.

No, it was NOT 'geared up' for the big firms at all!

The householder could use ANY Gas Safe registered installer and, to my knowledge, many, many smaller businesses got jobs through the boiler scrappage scheme.

All the information was easily available on the Energy Saving Trust website or by phone, as was publicised in thousands of press articles, so I can only assume that you didn't try very hard to find out about it.

To be wary of it before the details were announced is understandable, but to slag it off after it was so successful is totally out of order.

If we can get it re-instated after the election, I will post news on here as I did during the campaign, after it was announced in December and, with full details, when it started in January.
i no how scheme works and have used it myself im just saying this is what i found when 1st trying to get info on it. why would the energy trust email back stuff on British gas?

i no how scheme works and have used it myself im just saying this is what i found when 1st trying to get info on it. why would the energy trust email back stuff on British gas?
Because it almost certainly wasn't the Energy Saving Trust you contacted.

There are many websites that have been created with variations of names containing 'boilerscrappage' that aren't official sites, but have been created by people trying to make money on the back of the scheme.

If you check out the people who sent you the email, I'm sure you will find that is the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Scrappage Scheme petition in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock