Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler not firing up, or only firing up briefly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have a gas wall boiler that's having some issues. Was fine all winter up until now.

The boiler won't stay fired up. It will only fire up if I've left it cold for a few hours, then stops working after 5 minutes. When it turns off, just the pilot light remains on, no matter what level I put the gas to.

As you can imagine it doesn't heat a lot of the house, the two closest radiators get warm at the bottom, then soon after back to stone cold. When left alone, these two rads will drift from warm to stone cold and back again. No other radiators in the house go above stone cold. We have full running hot water the entire time.

I've dusted the inside of the thermostat and checked that the pump is working (at least it's vibrating and making normal noises), checked the mechanical timer is getting electricity to the boiler working and the immersion clock is set to constant.

It's as if the thermostat is set to 15 or something, but it's at 25 (as far as it will go).

Any ideas? Should I try to bypass the thermostat?

Forgot to mention, it's a Stelard Group Ideal W Boiler.

You need to register with the forum to get help.
You will not get advice about gas for obvious reasons, but can ask for someone to take a look

Sounds like it's locking out, likely to be a circulation issue. However, you need to be a member to get answers to your question.
Bear in mind though, nobody will give you any advice regarding anything behind the boiler cover, it's just not safe to fiddle if you're not gas registered, and if someone does give you advice on here and you blow half your street up - they (and the forum owners) will be liable.

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler not firing up, or only firing up briefly. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I have Grant oil fired boiler which when cold, takes multiple times to fire up. It will run for say 20 or 30 seconds with hot exhaust...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
I am having a problem with my main 24he boiler where the flame is constantly clicking on and off with the heating and when using hot water. Some...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock