Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler not commissioned/registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FredLa

Hi all, wonder if someone can help.

My dad had an extension built and made the mistake of hiring a builder who was a tale teller.

As part of the work the builder subcontracted the plumber who came in and installed a new boiler last April. He didn't fill in the benchmark certificate or notify building control - Dad didn't know this was a requirement until Building Control told him at the end of the job!

I presume the work is competent as the plumber came in his employer's works van at weekends/evenings. The company that employs him has several heating and gas engineers and is listed on the Gas Safe Register. However he is not registered in his own right.

Things ended badly with the builder who dissolved his business while doing Dad's job! However, presumably out of guilt or in an attempt to screw more cash our of us he has said he will help us get the gas certificate by getting someone else in to commission it and fill in the benchmark form.

My questions are:

1 - Is what the builder is proposing legal? From checking it seems that only the bloke who installed the boiler can commission it?

2 - If the bloke who installed it is not on Gas Safe Register in his own right but as part of a company then is he legally allowed to install/commission it.

3 - Do we have any redress?
4 -Will reporting to Gas Safe make a difference?

5 - How do we make it safe? In the circumstances BCO has said he'll let us off certificate. IE From a safety point of view is a gas safety certificate enough or should we get someone else to commission it. Would recommissiong the boiler involve removing and reinstalling again?
My priority now is safety, then cost, but dont want to be ripped off

Last edited by a moderator:
If he only came on evenings and weekends it's sounds like he's done it as a back hander and although he may be registered by his company it doesn't mean he can do private work. Ring the firm he is employed by and see if they know anything about it. If they do then hey should have a cert to say its all signed off

I suppose thats something I could do but I doubt very much that the company knows, I think it was deffo a back hander.

Personally I would check the gas pipe as one does not know what has been done under the floorboards. This is very common where by you will not have any guarantee as it has not been installed by a gas safe engineer , Safety and boiler guarantee would be my concern stuff everything else Imho

I think Im stuffed on the guarantee as it should have been done in 30 days, and we are now 10 months on. Whats the best way to check the gas pipe? A gas safety certificate or getting someone else to commission it - if this is possible?

firstly, i would phone up the company and ask when the plumber is coming back to finish the boiler!!!
that will sort out the back hander blokes ripping of the industry from legit fee paying s-emp fitters.

next i would report the builder to gas safe for employing an illegal gas fitter.

then get a legit gas engineer out to start again and commission it. the waranty starts when it has been commissioned.

I too would do as redsaw said. When all else fails. I'd have an engineer do a safety certificate on it, he may not commission it but peace of mind for you. Note, we can't check under floor unless you decide you want it checked which obviously means lifting it.

well, thats the sting in the tail.
thats what i would threaten the builder with unless he pays for your guy to do all the works required.lol.

i,ll bet my boots if you ring the builder and tell him your getting gas safe involved and reporting him hell loose the plot and get it done if he,s still trading under a diffrent name then he,s in trouble cos he still can be traced and will probs still be doing the same thing with other people ,he wont want to be reported or find out who done the work/boiler and ring him personally cos its proberly him who,ll get done and he should get someone to sort it from his firm cos he could loose his job and his gas safe, if he is gas safe as its ilegal to do work outside your firm unless registered in your own right if you play it right and do it in a nice way" not a bull in a china shop shouting"the ball is in your court and you hold all the cards

Cheers all, will have a ''friendly word'' with builder and if no joy then gas safe here we come.

BTW what is the difference between installation and commissioning? What does commissioning involve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler not commissioned/registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the digital pump. He did not inform us that we would need a new processor because we had changed to a Combi and subsequently a valve blew. Should my builders...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation. Have a bit of a question for our resident gas people, if you can possibly help me out here. The vendors seem to have lost the installation invoice, but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock