Discuss Boiler keeps running! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon.h

Hi all,

I had this problem with my boiler which just keeps running.
It 1st happened about 6 mths ago and after fitting a new drayon controller I thought I sorted it but today at 4.00 a.m the problem started again.

The problem is sometimes my Baxi Solo 3 boiler with turn it self on or stay on after it's been required. The heating and hot water are both off at the controller but boiler just keeps running. The only time the burners are not on are then water in boiler is getting too hot. Also then this happens the heating and hot water port valve both open.

The only way to turn off the boiler is to turn it's power supply off and then leave it for about 4 hours. After switching power back on it works as it should. This may happen 3 times a week or every 6 mths.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Yeah short circuit, what make of moterised valves do you have? The danfoss once can be bad for the micro switch inside them sticking on. To look at the valve it opens and shuts like normal but is constantly calling for heat. Only way to stop it is to isolate the power to it

Yeah short circuit, what make of moterised valves do you have? The danfoss once can be bad for the micro switch inside them sticking on. To look at the valve it opens and shuts like normal but is constantly calling for heat. Only way to stop it is to isolate the power to it

I have separate valves for heating and hot water, one is honeywell and the other siemens.

Surely a sticking micro switch can only happen if it's the system has been running but not if the system has been off for 6 hours?

Thanks

Never had that problem with the Honeywell and don't see Siemens in my area so can't pass comment on them.

You never said in your original post the heating was off for 6 hours before it happened.

The only way to tell is to get a multimeter out and start testing to see what is sending the power, but wouldn't recommend it unless you you what your doing with live electrics.

That's where I would start anyway

Never had that problem with the Honeywell and don't see Siemens in my area so can't pass comment on them.

You never said in your original post the heating was off for 6 hours before it happened.

The only way to tell is to get a multimeter out and start testing to see what is sending the power, but wouldn't recommend it unless you you what your doing with live electrics.

That's where I would start anyway

Hi, the problem started at 4.00 a.m as I said in my 1st post. Doesn't every one turn their heatin off over night?

Ok will try test it with a meter then it next happens.

Thanks.

I have separate valves for heating and hot water, one is honeywell and the other siemens.

Surely a sticking micro switch can only happen if it's the system has been running but not if the system has been off for 6 hours?

Thanks

make your mind up...its on or off?

not everyone, I myself have my heating to switch on at 3am and off at 4am. That's the coldest part of the night and just keeps the house topped up. But I have a baby in the house and live in the highlands! Lol

Can you even remove the programmer face plate next time it happens? Motorised valves are hard wired from the junction box and will stay live regardless of the programmer. If you can remove the programmer and if it stops it's definitely the programmer.

not everyone, I myself have my heating to switch on at 3am and off at 4am. That's the coldest part of the night and just keeps the house topped up. But I have a baby in the house and live in the highlands! Lol

Can you even remove the programmer face plate next time it happens? Motorised valves are hard wired from the junction box and will stay live regardless of the programmer. If you can remove the programmer and if it stops it's definitely the programmer.

Hi, I think I would do the same with my heating if I lived where you do!

I have taken the programmer off it's back plate then i had the problem and the boiler still was running

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
well would definitely start by checking the valves. It's the 2 orange cables in the junction that you need to check.

Be careful tho

Are you sure its actually running?common for pump overrun to fail on the pcb in SE solos,pump runs for hours but boiler wont

Are you sure its actually running?common for pump overrun to fail on the pcb in SE solos,pump runs for hours but boiler wont

Hi, I know all about the 8 minutes of over run of the pump. And yes can see the burner on in the boiler.

Thanks.

well would definitely start by checking the valves. It's the 2 orange cables in the junction that you need to check.

Be careful tho

Hi, so then the fault is happening carefully disconnect the orange wire and this should stop the boiler?
Thanks.

No no don't touch anything in there when it's live! It is 240v in the junction box! I can't stress enough if you don't have experience with live electrics stay away and get someone that does.

I don't know your level of experience with electrics but it's not for a average DIY'r
You could damage yourself and the apliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler keeps running! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
My son has just had a new boiler fitted and hes noticed that the pump runs 24x7 even when both the heating and hot water are set to off. He’s...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock