Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler fumes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazydiamond

I have a potterton promax he, finding that when its on, getting fumes, its not gas smell, i have had a sniff about but cant find where ? what can cause this. i dont know about the boilers history, if its ever been opened, or serviced.
At work we have these huge square heater with heat vents on the top, i would say the smell is similar. With this boiler being sealed,i cant see how fumes can escape.

Best official advice is to contact your local emergency gas service/ supplier, in the South it is Southern Gas Networks, 0800111999 will be different if you are elsewhere.

They will come out free of charge in a max time of 2 hours, if in any doubt of the boiler they will make the situation safe.

Please turn off the gas.

Kev.

is it new? they smell when new, are the fumes coming back inside from a window?

do as already stated call o8oo 111 999 and get someone round to look at it. in the meantime turn it off.

Thankfully you can smell Carbon Monoxide, not a lot of people can :sleeping:

Hopefully nothing but best to be safe eh??

Could also be some electrical contacts slowly melting themselves till they set alight ! please get it looked at tonight.

When ive fitted these from new ive always noticed a smell. Not easy to describe, maybe like oil or new engine sort of smell, or a burning smell.

Thankfully you can smell Carbon Monoxide, not a lot of people can :sleeping:

Hopefully nothing but best to be safe eh??

Could also be some electrical contacts slowly melting themselves till they set alight ! please get it looked at tonight.
I have bought a carbon monoxide alarm and placed it directly above the boiler.Also just to make 100% sure that the alarm is working as it has not gone off, i put it under the car exhaust, it works.

I have bought a carbon monoxide alarm and placed it directly above the boiler.Also just to make 100% sure that the alarm is working as it has not gone off, i put it under the car exhaust, it works.

How long ago was the boiler installed

What about other appliances in your house and neighbours houses. It is better to get it checked out call the esp as told they will be out in 2 hrs usually and have the equipment to test for fumes and gas leaks. 0800111999

Carbon monoxide alarms are not designed to alert you of Gas/ Smoke.

If you are happy to sleep tonight without having it checked :rockon:.

I will sleep well tonight.

I think people are over re-acting, you cannot smell CO, these boilers smell when new, it could be that

So, for the third and final time; how long ago was the boiler installed?

I dont know , how long has been in sorry , i did say i have no known history of it.
I presume a seal has gone somewhere Hence im asking if there could be other possible reasons. ie has something else gone in the boiler, that can cause this , i can afford an engineer to come out and replace seals , but anything else im not so sure.

Thanks guys for the advice , i am fully aware of the perils of gas and carbon dioxide.

the reason why im asking is that i had an engineer out to check it over last week, and he did not notice anything,

Exactly you cannot smell CO but, with an experienced nose! I think I can smell when a boiler is not working well.

WHY NOT PHONE 0800 111999 TO MAKE SURE !

Until the boiler has been inspected the official action is to turn off and make safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont believe it is an emergency enough to ring the number, when i can wait for an engineer to come.
All i want to know is what can be the cause of it??
i bought the boiler from ebay , had it fitted , but guy would not gaurantee it as its not a new boiler.I was not here when he did the safty checks , and her in doors did not take much notice, we have not had the heating on , just hot water, but now when we put the heating on , its when the smell comes. cant say if the fumey smell is present when using hot water, but its noticable when the heating is on.

Its like the 3 word story !!!! every time a new bit of info comes out FFS !

lol i only want to know causes of this not that me and my family can die , the boiler even though, manufactured in 2007 looks clean , still had celephane on front cover. the top of the boiler still very very clean. guy advertised it as brand new ??? it had been used at some point in its life, how long for , i dont know.
i did not buy the thing directly through ebay. i made him an offer to take it off and bought that way. so im shagged for comebacks.

All i want to know is what possibe causes , i have had a look at the boiler , there do not seem to be scredriver marks on the inner casing screws. i dont know if it has ever been opened up.
All i want to know is what can cause fumes, it cant be bad fitting flue, the boiler will not fire up if this was the case.

iv noticed a funny smell from the steam when boiler condensing when condensate pipe not connected properly , have you checked that ???

it cant be bad fitting flue, the boiler will not fire up if this was the case.

Yes it could be, and yes it would. You've been given some very good advice by very experienced people who are concerned for the safety and wellbeing of you and your family.

Please stop using the boiler. Ring the gas emergency line, 0800 111 999.

It'll cost you nothing and may save your life.

lol i only want to know causes of this not that me and my family can die , the boiler even though, manufactured in 2007 looks clean , still had celephane on front cover. the top of the boiler still very very clean. guy advertised it as brand new ??? it had been used at some point in its life, how long for , i dont know.
i did not buy the thing directly through ebay. i made him an offer to take it off and bought that way. so im shagged for comebacks.

All i want to know is what possibe causes , i have had a look at the boiler , there do not seem to be scredriver marks on the inner casing screws. i dont know if it has ever been opened up.
All i want to know is what can cause fumes, it cant be bad fitting flue, the boiler will not fire up if this was the case.
you have no idea what you are doing, please stop and pay an expert to look at it, dont use it until its been checked, youve just got to pay to get it sorted

Well thats it ! bought off ebay, told it was new ! but its been used (5 year old) why did other guy want to sell it ?

AND WHY DOES THIS MAN (MORON) NOT WANT TO CALL EMERGENCY NUMBER ?? HAS HE SOMTHING TO HIDE ? DID HE FIT BOILER HIMSELF ? HAS THE INSTALL BEEN REGISTERED ?

This is the craziest thread I've ever read.

This guys either a nut job or an Internet troll.

you have no idea what you are doing, please stop and pay an expert to look at it, dont use it until its been checked, youve just got to pay to get it sorted

yes i know, i get the hint guys :) thanks.

Thank you. We aren't yanking your chain. We just don't want you to be a statistic.

As said before ring 0800 111 999. It is free and is no trouble to them. They will be there probably before 10 if you ring now and mention a smell. They treat it as an emergency because it may well be.
It may be nothing at all but best to get it checked.

Cant beleive this guy ! all the time he's been on here he could have had is boiler check'd over ! and known that they would wake-up tomorrow !!

Cant beleive this guy ! all the time he's been on here he could have had is boiler check'd over ! and known that they would wake-up tomorrow !!

Could be that i am able to turn off the boiler, and shut the gas off at the meter..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler fumes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock