Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler breakdown courses. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

natwill

Hi,

Anyone know of any good breakdown/servicing courses for boilers?

Hi
Most manufactures offer courses from free upto £120.00 or so for the day. Carshalton college do a 3 or 4 day combi fault finding course for between £350 & £500. There based in London, or try your local college.

Baxi training, I seriously can't recommend them enough, they'll take you through from the basics to more advanced fault finding in a few days and their prices are very competetive. I went to Dartford but I think they have other centres too.

I did the Worcester Bosch one and it could't have been better, I learnt loads, not sure if its free or not as my old firm payed for it. Plus there's loads of freebies

I did a Worcester oil boiler day course for £50. I was the only one and was taught how to diagnose faults with a multimeter then given a memory stick of all the boiler manuals and some fault diagnosing notes and loads of other bits and pieces (including an elongated 4mm allen key and free lunch and pen and notepad and ...)

Going on the vaillant course in a couple of weeks, will let you know how I get on!

Third vote for Baxi. Dartford center too.

Best course I've ever done, and I've done LOADS!!

havent done one yet, keep forgetting things though when i go out to fix a boiler, i should really start keeping notes..

getting better through experiance, been fixing boilers for a few years now

point is, whats the point ?

Point is, if you're Gas Safe qualified, but all you ever did was install. Then it's hard to take the leap to breakdown repairs.

Plus, I am of the mindset that you can always learn more, sharpen up what you know and put some effort into giving the customer the best service you can. Best way to do that is to be better trained than the next guy.

Point is, if you're Gas Safe qualified, but all you ever did was install. Then it's hard to take the leap to breakdown repairs.

Plus, I am of the mindset that you can always learn more, sharpen up what you know and put some effort into giving the customer the best service you can. Best way to do that is to be better trained than the next guy.

always always learning, installs are where the money is but personally I prefer a day full of breakdowns, love getting the old grey matter going!

their is other ways of working out how a boiler works and fixing it.. and not spending money on training

I'm GS but from an install background, I have tried to book the Baxi course but everytime I pick the advanced fault finding courses they say my next centre is in warrington which is like 200 miles away even though they have a centre in glasgow but "it doesnt have the facilities"

I have been on Vaillant and Vokera course, Vokera course advertised that they showed you how to use a multimeter but they didnt really. I would like to go to a course which is more in depth and teaches you how to use the multimeter to find faults. I have only repaired a couple of boilers which have both been problems with the diverter valve so pretty easy to diagnose. To be fair to Vokera they gave me training manuals on each of their boilers and a disc with a powerpoint presentation.

I like the challenge of repairing boilers and would really like to be able to do it with confidence and not just turn up and replace the PCB and hope for the best, which seems like alot of people do.

Last edited:
I'm GS but from an install background, I have tried to book the Baxi course but everytime I pick the advanced fault finding courses they say my next centre is in warrington which is like 200 miles away even though they have a centre in glasgow but "it doesnt have the facilities"

I have been on Vaillant and Vokera course, Vokera course advertised that they showed you how to use a multimeter but they didnt really. I would like to go to a course which is more in depth and teaches you how to use the multimeter to find faults. I have only repaired a couple of boilers which have both been problems with the diverter valve so pretty easy to diagnose. To be fair to Vokera they gave me training manuals on each of their boilers and a disc with a powerpoint presentation.

I like the challenge of repairing boilers and would really like to be able to do it with confidence and not just turn up and replace the PCB and hope for the best, which seems like alot of people do.

If you're struggling getting on a course then i can recommend a good book; Central Heating, Combination Boilers fault finding and repair by John Reginald, even though I've done the courses I'm never without it. Its written in plain English, lots of photos and brilliant fault finding reference sections, worth £30 of anyone's money, got mine from ebay.

Im from an installs background and feels like i'm re-training to servicing/breakdowns on appliances. would save your money and not bother with courses . I have been slowly passed more and more services through a gas company i work for and its helping to get a better understanding and any queries is nothing more than a phone call away or even here . Breakdowns is a headache tho and when i can i go out with a breakdown engineer or even helps to listen to others chat about breakdowns they have done. Always a learning curve tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler breakdown courses. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock