Discuss boiler blow off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

been called to a boiler today as british gas did an ID on it as it was on a contract and been passed by them each year till now .It was an older boiler i have never heard of its about 6years old - its in a terrace between the kitchen and bathroom and has no external walls , the condense goes into a drain connector 40mm to 4" in the floor in 40mm pushfit pipe and due to the bathroom having a floor fitted 3" showertray they put the blow off into the 40mm pushfit pipe with the condense. it has been Id due to this - my question is that G3 allows for an unvented cylinder to be into a drain via push fit so why not a combi blow off ? also i have seen a condense pump that accepts a blow off as well so if a conense pump can why not a waste .

ant

thats what i was going to do but they said its got to be on external wall - think they just want out of contract as boiler is old.

i was always told that a PRV discharge pipework must be outside regardless no matter what!, so i've always gone with it and have changed them if come across it, i think i know where your coming from i'd like to know the reason to, Kirkkk??? help here please lol.

I wouldn't think that would be ID, maybe its cos the plastic pipe might not be able to take the temp of the water but doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
seen plenty of blow offs into internal waste systems via a tundish. Done in flats all over the place. Its def not ID.

My advise, take BG's customer for yourself and save them money.

Went to repair a storage combi, which has two blow offs. They just discharged to the floor, below. Well onto the electrical outlets and then onto the floor below.

Didn't think it was an ID offense. I didn't bother looking it up as I just put it right.

Defo not ID, I'd say AR at most due to discharge material being plastic.

But not ID, no chance

At risk of what? Nothing to do with gas but we all know big gas make up the rules to suit themselves and definately not ID. Just down to some over zealous gas man who hasn't a clue.
Even if it was capped off it is only AR.
Better write myself out a notice while i remember :shame:

Now if you capped off the blow off. Then in my opinion you'd be playing with fire.

Never come across it, but it must happen.

"Oh that overflow pipe is dribbling. I'll nip to B&Q and buy one of those speed fit caps, that'll do it". :nonod:

Now if you capped off the blow off. Then in my opinion you'd be playing with fire.

Never come across it, but it must happen.

"Oh that overflow pipe is dribbling. I'll nip to B&Q and buy one of those speed fit caps, that'll do it". :nonod:

Blanking a safety pipe is ID in my estimation, no questions .
I've seen it once b4, handyman wasn't so handy

Yes an ID, but in fairness the first thing you'd do is unblank it. So hardly worth filling out the paper work.

You've seen it? I know it must happen. A little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous. I wonder if it was the handy man, or actually the man of the house who was just too embarrased to admit to doing somthing so stupid!?

I wonder how BG would class an Atag where the blow off is connected to the (plastic) condensate pipe?

Ha. God knows.

BG do have some top class engineers, but like any organisation of that size, they're going to have a few numpties too.

Yes an ID, but in fairness the first thing you'd do is unblank it. So hardly worth filling out the paper work.

You've seen it? I know it must happen. A little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous. I wonder if it was the handy man, or actually the man of the house who was just too embarrased to admit to doing somthing so stupid!?

Customers lie all the time so who knows, i cut away the nut aswell so noone else had a bright idea to stop the 'leak' if it ever happened again.

BG do have some top class engineers, but like any organisation of that size, they're going to have a few numpties too.

I know that Danny. Unfortunately most of the best ones are getting old or fed up playing their games and have left.

Page 44 of the gas safe magazine ,, pumphousepump.com they do a combined prv & condense pump ..

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/100312_app_doc_G_2010.pdf

the g3 regs say plastic can be used if it can take the temp, most push fit can but not solvent weld. Combis dont really come under g3 unless they have a storeage vessel 15ltrs and above.
This may be true but unless u install it and know what it is how can u satisfy yourself as to what material it is unless it's clearly marked which (in my experience) it rarely is. Copper is the safest option by far

You know by feeling it what it is made of. Polypropylene is suitable for high temp.

Fair doo's...never heard that one for a while lol. I hear what you are saying.
You would be wrong with the ID on the one before tho.

its only a hazard if it blows so not in immediate danger but in potential danger ar but i think you will find it as ncs as in m.i or current reg's. as this boiler is very old then the regs change?.

Fair doo's...never heard that one for a while lol. I hear what you are saying.
You would be wrong with the ID on the one before tho.
Would u walk away having just left an AR on it? Knowing fine well that they'll turn it back on once you've left?

Would u walk away having just left an AR on it? Knowing fine well that they'll turn it back on once you've left?

Some will some won't. You have no other obligation than to warn them and fill out the paperwork. If they choose to do whatever they do my conscience is clear.

I had one last week where there was a remote meter halfway down the garden. On upgrading the gas i found the PE coming inside through the wall by around 6".
I filled out the paperwork and the customer refused to let me turn it off. Fair doo's as they say. It is his decision. I advised him to get it seen to as soon as possible and i also riddored it too not that anything will come of that. It has been there for 25 years and no doubt will be there for the next 25. Not my problem. I fulfilled my obligations.

I wouldn't think that would be ID, maybe its cos the plastic pipe might not be able to take the temp of the water but doubt it.

i agree with this Ar at most, but sounds as if they are looking for either a get out or more work, i'm sure boiler PRV's need to terminate safely and be visible, and they dont have a tundish like unvented (which is why unvented can go into internal drain) best to ask manufacturer if they will allow connection to drain via tundish so it can be seen to be running and not wasting power and water

I wouldn't think twice about IDing it, blanking a safety pipe is incredibly dangerous.

i dont disagree with where you are coming from, but by definition it will only be ID as the steam skelps down it trying to get out, until there is hot water/steam in it then it must only be AR as it might never discharge to outside

the easiest solution would be to remove the cap as most of us would do

I seen one capped before,the system had been converted to a sealed one. Proper bodge job cos they had fitted a honeywell reducing valve with gauge thinking it was a prv then put a ball o fix on the pipe coming off it.. probably wondered why there was water coming out of the prv when then filled up so stuck a ball o fix on the end..

Think some people here do not know the correct interpretation of 'ID' & 'AR' situations.
This situation is at worse 'AR'. Customer should be fully advised and with their permission turned off, nothing more.
An 'ID' situation would be a situation that would be an Immediate danger/risk to life or property if left in operation. i.e. gas valve passing or signs of spillage. An At Risk situation means it MAY at some stage become dangerous if left in current state. This does not mean it is dangerous at that specific time or intact may ever get to that life/property threatening stage.

you can run a discharge pipe into plastic waste, normally needs to be pushfit.
it was pushfit pipe the customer wants a bg contract so its got to be done how they want it or no contract

ant

Right lads I'll give u my interpretation of this. If a safety pipe is capped (especially a D2) its usually capped for a reason, ie customer thinks its "leaking" (we all know it's not "leaking" but the safety valve is "passing"). Now if the safety valve is passing and the termination is capped then the pipe is building in pressure, therefore (in my mind) its immediately dangerous as it "may" blow at any minute. Now you will notice I used the word "may", the use of this word usually constitutes an AR situation. However bearing all of that in mind, when would you all put an ID label on it? When it's a hundred foot in the air and soaring like a rocket? We've all seen the videos lads. My point is, if it's capped, it's capped for a reason.

It is AR as there are other safety devices that would have to fail for anything to happen.

Here is one. How many actually test the PRV is activating at 3 bar on a service? Not many because everyone is scared to touch them incase they leak so how do you know it is not sticking effectivly inoperative!
How many on new installs test the PRV too?

I was always under the impression that u should only check the unvented hw prv/tprv and not the combi prv ?

I was always under the impression that u should only check the unvented hw prv/tprv and not the combi prv ?
+

It should be checked on boilers too otherwise how do you know it works?

Nobody does it because we all know once you activate the valve on an existing boiler the chances are you will be fitting a new one as it won't reseat.

It is a safety device, and should be checked on service and install. But No I dont check it as you say, scared you do make it start passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler blow off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
I have a CH boiler installation with a nice simple vertical condensate drain, down and out through the wall to a pipe outside. All is as it...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking to see if anyone can give some advice please. My Baxi boiler has been losing pressure and I am having to top it up approx. every 4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock