Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss boiler blow off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

been called to a boiler today as british gas did an ID on it as it was on a contract and been passed by them each year till now .It was an older boiler i have never heard of its about 6years old - its in a terrace between the kitchen and bathroom and has no external walls , the condense goes into a drain connector 40mm to 4" in the floor in 40mm pushfit pipe and due to the bathroom having a floor fitted 3" showertray they put the blow off into the 40mm pushfit pipe with the condense. it has been Id due to this - my question is that G3 allows for an unvented cylinder to be into a drain via push fit so why not a combi blow off ? also i have seen a condense pump that accepts a blow off as well so if a conense pump can why not a waste .

ant

thats what i was going to do but they said its got to be on external wall - think they just want out of contract as boiler is old.

i was always told that a PRV discharge pipework must be outside regardless no matter what!, so i've always gone with it and have changed them if come across it, i think i know where your coming from i'd like to know the reason to, Kirkkk??? help here please lol.

I wouldn't think that would be ID, maybe its cos the plastic pipe might not be able to take the temp of the water but doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
seen plenty of blow offs into internal waste systems via a tundish. Done in flats all over the place. Its def not ID.

My advise, take BG's customer for yourself and save them money.

Went to repair a storage combi, which has two blow offs. They just discharged to the floor, below. Well onto the electrical outlets and then onto the floor below.

Didn't think it was an ID offense. I didn't bother looking it up as I just put it right.

Defo not ID, I'd say AR at most due to discharge material being plastic.

But not ID, no chance

At risk of what? Nothing to do with gas but we all know big gas make up the rules to suit themselves and definately not ID. Just down to some over zealous gas man who hasn't a clue.
Even if it was capped off it is only AR.
Better write myself out a notice while i remember :shame:

Now if you capped off the blow off. Then in my opinion you'd be playing with fire.

Never come across it, but it must happen.

"Oh that overflow pipe is dribbling. I'll nip to B&Q and buy one of those speed fit caps, that'll do it". :nonod:

Now if you capped off the blow off. Then in my opinion you'd be playing with fire.

Never come across it, but it must happen.

"Oh that overflow pipe is dribbling. I'll nip to B&Q and buy one of those speed fit caps, that'll do it". :nonod:

Blanking a safety pipe is ID in my estimation, no questions .
I've seen it once b4, handyman wasn't so handy

Yes an ID, but in fairness the first thing you'd do is unblank it. So hardly worth filling out the paper work.

You've seen it? I know it must happen. A little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous. I wonder if it was the handy man, or actually the man of the house who was just too embarrased to admit to doing somthing so stupid!?

I wonder how BG would class an Atag where the blow off is connected to the (plastic) condensate pipe?

Ha. God knows.

BG do have some top class engineers, but like any organisation of that size, they're going to have a few numpties too.

Yes an ID, but in fairness the first thing you'd do is unblank it. So hardly worth filling out the paper work.

You've seen it? I know it must happen. A little knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous. I wonder if it was the handy man, or actually the man of the house who was just too embarrased to admit to doing somthing so stupid!?

Customers lie all the time so who knows, i cut away the nut aswell so noone else had a bright idea to stop the 'leak' if it ever happened again.

BG do have some top class engineers, but like any organisation of that size, they're going to have a few numpties too.

I know that Danny. Unfortunately most of the best ones are getting old or fed up playing their games and have left.

Page 44 of the gas safe magazine ,, pumphousepump.com they do a combined prv & condense pump ..

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/100312_app_doc_G_2010.pdf

the g3 regs say plastic can be used if it can take the temp, most push fit can but not solvent weld. Combis dont really come under g3 unless they have a storeage vessel 15ltrs and above.
This may be true but unless u install it and know what it is how can u satisfy yourself as to what material it is unless it's clearly marked which (in my experience) it rarely is. Copper is the safest option by far

You know by feeling it what it is made of. Polypropylene is suitable for high temp.

Fair doo's...never heard that one for a while lol. I hear what you are saying.
You would be wrong with the ID on the one before tho.

its only a hazard if it blows so not in immediate danger but in potential danger ar but i think you will find it as ncs as in m.i or current reg's. as this boiler is very old then the regs change?.

Fair doo's...never heard that one for a while lol. I hear what you are saying.
You would be wrong with the ID on the one before tho.
Would u walk away having just left an AR on it? Knowing fine well that they'll turn it back on once you've left?

Would u walk away having just left an AR on it? Knowing fine well that they'll turn it back on once you've left?

Some will some won't. You have no other obligation than to warn them and fill out the paperwork. If they choose to do whatever they do my conscience is clear.

I had one last week where there was a remote meter halfway down the garden. On upgrading the gas i found the PE coming inside through the wall by around 6".
I filled out the paperwork and the customer refused to let me turn it off. Fair doo's as they say. It is his decision. I advised him to get it seen to as soon as possible and i also riddored it too not that anything will come of that. It has been there for 25 years and no doubt will be there for the next 25. Not my problem. I fulfilled my obligations.

I wouldn't think that would be ID, maybe its cos the plastic pipe might not be able to take the temp of the water but doubt it.

i agree with this Ar at most, but sounds as if they are looking for either a get out or more work, i'm sure boiler PRV's need to terminate safely and be visible, and they dont have a tundish like unvented (which is why unvented can go into internal drain) best to ask manufacturer if they will allow connection to drain via tundish so it can be seen to be running and not wasting power and water

I wouldn't think twice about IDing it, blanking a safety pipe is incredibly dangerous.

i dont disagree with where you are coming from, but by definition it will only be ID as the steam skelps down it trying to get out, until there is hot water/steam in it then it must only be AR as it might never discharge to outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler blow off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock