Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked downstairs toilet. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening all! Looking for a bit of help. Today my downstairs toilet gurgled when I put the tap on in the bathroom, The toilet filled and became blocked. Ive tried to plunge it to no avail and now if I flush my up stairs toilet, downstairs toilet fills with dirty water. It also fills up with more water if I use the tap in the same room,
does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thank You :)

Last edited:
Seems like you have a blockage at the bottom of the down-pipe.

If you have an inquisitive nature you might be able to confirm the location by lifting a few inspection covers. It will need clearing, which will require rods and/or a pressure jet. I recommend a check with a camera at the same time to ensure that there is no damage to the drain (ground movement, tree roots, etc.) that might make the problem recurrent. Make sure everybody in the house knows not to put anything down the loo that isn't pee/poo/toilet-paper.

Thank you for replying, it has slowly drained back down however if I flush it will refill. When I put my bathroom tap on the toilet starts to gurgle. I will look in to what you have said :)

Thanks for replying! I lifted the vertical pipe up out the junction and the part circled in green is full of water. Toilet still gargling when tap used or up stairs toilet flushed. Will try a drain rod to see if there is anything stuck in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723-103232_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230723-103232_WhatsApp.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 16

Reply to Blocked downstairs toilet. in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock