Search the forum,

Discuss blanking off feed and return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Selfbuilder3

Hello.

I have been adviced to fit a thermal store.
Looking into the details I have to agree it's a good idea.

I intend to fit a solar system, log burn stove with back boilder and ASHP.

Just the log stove has 4 back boiler connections (two for feed and return of the hot water and two for the feed and return for the radiators/underfloor loops).

If i use a thermal store i can only use one set of the feed and return connections and blank the other two off.

Is this common practice ?.

Also will the thermal store get the full Kw output of the stove ?.

The intended stove is a Dunsley Highlander 16 has a max output of 8.5Kw to water if burning wood.

But if i block off two of the feed and return pipes will the thermal store get the full 8.5 Kw?.

Thanks,
DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that your installer is HETAS registered, they will be able to advise on this accurately and safely so you get the safest and most efficient system possible.
Remember that these installs will be notifiable works, so Building Control will need to certify (or a HETAS engineer can self certify it on your behalf for a significant saving).

So long as the 4 tappings are into the same back boiler and not a pair of twins (99.9% of the time it's a single), then you should be fine and get the full output.
You can normally cross connect across the tappings so that flow comes from one of the top tappings and return from the opposite side lower tapping.
Ensure that whatever is done is in line with the M.Is and building regs.
Safety is number one with these, and all the additional sfety fallbacks need to be in place and fitted correctly (Temp relief, gravity circuit with heat leak etc etc...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using the soilid fuel to heat the thermal store direct or using a coil into the thermal store?

Are you using the soilid fuel to heat the thermal store direct or using a coil into the thermal store?

its a coil.

if it was not a coil (direct into the tank) would it make any difference?l

I was just thinking about cold feed and open vent for the solid fuel side.

make sure the cylinder has a specific soild fuel coil, high recovery coils are not suitable for gravity systems. you will need a heat leak radiator.

the cylinder manufacture and stove manufacture will give you information to help you size the boiler amd cylinder, it needs to be sized correctly to avoid dampening and poor efficiency.

if you fit it yourself building control will most likely get a hetas engineer to check its correct before sign off so make sure its all correct to avoid extra cost of building control revisits.

if its to a coil the other two tappings will be for cold feed and vent although depending on design and mi's they could be from pipework

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to blanking off feed and return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
According to the manufacturer's information OV PULSAcoil thermal stores are primarily designed for use with on/off peak electricity but also have two open pipe spigots (NO internal coil) for flow and return from an additional heat source e.g. a heat only boiler. The 180 store comes with a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Recently had a new combi installed (Glow-worm Energy 30kw) in a new location (moved from upstairs to down). The flow and returns now leave the boiler in 22mm (for approx 1m), then drop to 15mm to feed the first two upstairs radiators, which are closest to the new location. This then...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry to bother you all with this but I am really struggling to find a suitable combi-boiler replacement and a knowledgeable heating engineer to discuss options. Ive tried to note as much relevant details below - apologies if its too long or irrelevant. Any help most gratefully received...
Replies
Views
So...got called to this earlier on, the install looks a bitnof a mess but looking past that the system seems like quite a simple setup though i am failing to find a schematic for this particular type of thermal store where we have 4 immersers which all on would be producing 12kw and an open...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock