Discuss Blanked off rodding access in soil pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm what you'd call a competent DIYer and I'm looking to replace our existing cast iron soil pipe when refurbishing our bathroom (moving sanitaryware around so I thought I'd do it all at the same time).

I was checking out soil pipe connections in Wickes today and picked up a couple that had rodding access points in them. I unscrewed the caps on these access points and was surprised to see they were blanked off.

I can understand why the sockets for waste pipes are blanked off - you use a hole saw to cut them out as and when necessary - but why are the rodding points blanked off too?

Just curious really.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Tony.

Hi all,

I'm what you'd call a competent DIYer and I'm looking to replace our existing cast iron soil pipe when refurbishing our bathroom (moving sanitaryware around so I thought I'd do it all at the same time).

I was checking out soil pipe connections in Wickes today and picked up a couple that had rodding access points in them. I unscrewed the caps on these access points and was surprised to see they were blanked off.

I can understand why the sockets for waste pipes are blanked off - you use a hole saw to cut them out as and when necessary - but why are the rodding points blanked off too?

Just curious really.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Tony.
at a guess there not blanked of just have a second piece of moulded plastic you have to take out

Yep thats right... you'll probably find the piece is shaped so as to maintain the smooth bore of the main pipe to avoid accumulation of stuff you don't want in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blanked off rodding access in soil pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
The soil pipe from my bathroom passes through the outside wall and into the roofspace above the adjacent single storey kitchen before dropping...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into...
Replies
Views
A
Hey, I'll start by saying I'll be getting a plumber out to do this but wanted some advice first. We're redoing our ground floor bathroom this year...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the...
Replies
Views
Back