Search the forum,

Discuss Being in full time employment with own Gas Safe registration ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gassy_NE

Gas Engineer
How does this work?

I am in full time employment so when at work I'm covered under my employers GSR number but I am considering doing work 'out of hours' for myself. I have asked a few of my colleagues and they seem to think the company is quite relaxed with the idea of employees carrying out their own work on the side (I will check for a definitive answer before doing any!).

Is anyone on the forum in this position or know someone who is? How does tax etc. work? What insurances are required?

In theory it seems like a good idea, full-time job providing the bulk of my pay while building up a portfolio of clients that require annual services.

Thanks.

You would need your own insurance, obviously you will need to keep records of your income and then submit your own self assessment tax return, hope this helps. Welcome to the forum!

I think your colleagues are having a laugh. You need to inform the HMRC that you're self employed and get yourself a seperate GS card to carry out any work which is not for your company.

The company is quite relaxed about this? I wouldn't be if I was your boss, I mean you could poach my business, it's all abit underhand tbh

You need to register yourself as a separate company as far as I'm aware! I had my own registration whilst working for the Council. They were happy for me to work outside of their hours of employment but would not take responsibility for any work I did under their registration other than work they'd sanctioned!

When I worked for B-Gas then it was a definite NO!!! You were not allowed to vie against them or potentially 'poach' work!

It doesn't cost that much to register yourself as a 'business' :)

Yea, that's what I thought, I'm going to speak to an accountant I know and look into some insurance quotes.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to being self-employed but in this game it seems that everyone is going to pay cash, so it's just a case of keeping a record of all cash given and tools/fuel/workwear etc. then sorting tax at the end of the year? Last thing I want is being traced by my GSR number for pocketting the taxmans hard earned!!

You can get plenty of business start up help, just google it local to you. Plenty of free seminars etc. good luck to you, just keep accurate records!

Sorry, I should have been more clear...

I am talking about getting my own Gas Safe Registration, not working under my companys' number! The two will be kept completely separate, I will have a registered business.

Also, I work for a social housing association so there is no chance of 'poaching' their work, all the houses are all their own, plus it's hard to get the tenants to open the door at the best of times nevermind trying to get them to spend their benefits on a gas service!

I doubt any company would be Ok with an employee doing his own private work.

I've never worked at a company that has accepted it, infact quite the opposite. I've contracted at a few places now and been offered full time jobs by two places I've contracted, and me giving up my gassafe number has been a major point they have stressed.

Ive never taken a full time job, not because of this reason, more down to money, but I can fully understand a company doing it. However, I don't think they can stop you doing it.

Personally I don't think it should be allowed at all, I think you should only be allowed to be on one registration at a time

I take all your points on board, just a thought at the minute, I have the time and could do with the extra cash over the summer so seemed like a bit of a no-brainer!

Like I say, I'll have a look at the business info and maybe approach my boss with the idea ...

Thanks.

my cousins a sparky and works for housing association and he aint allowed to register to do work outside of his employment.

that hasnt stopped him he just didnt tell registered with a another registration body.they cant stop you if they dont know. not an issue for me if its above board.

I have two one with the company I work with full time, and the other I've registered with my dads business for my privates costs me £50ish a year to be added to his, ill try find out how much he pays to register his business every year.

I have two one with the company I work with full time, and the other I've registered with my dads business for my privates costs me £50ish a year to be added to his, ill try find out how much he pays to register his business every year.
its 170 sheets a year mate, well mine is anyway :)

the first year is nearly 500 quid though :-(

firstly "competing for work" can be gross misconduct, you will need to get written confirmation from your employer that they are happy for you to work for yourself while working for them. If you dont they could at any point use this as a way to dismiss you without redundency etc.....

once this is sorted, pay gas safe £500 ish, get PLI insurance, tell the hmrc what your going to be doing, keep records and pay your taxes. Best get an accountant to make things simple for the first year or two.

make sure you keep records of all materials you buy etc..... to rpove to your employer that your not using anything of theres for your own work.

keep a detailed log of your own car/van use so you can claim the right amount of tax deductions.

Last edited:
you req class 2 national ins £12.80 a month if you register self employed with the buisness factory you recieve £100 pound from them at mo i found advertising is expensive and not worth the money good luck.and the dreaded tax form in april

if your told its ok,

why not go and ask your boss in the morning how to set it up?

he will know.

Being self-employed when you are not at work is quite common - lots of people do it so just check with your employer first.
And check your contract of employment.
Obviously employers would not be happy if you were in competition but if that doesn't apply there shouldn't be a problem and i don't think they could stop you - but I'm not sure.

Then to work for yourself you must have your own GSR which is less than £200.
You should have public liability insurance - possibly around £300.

Then away you go.
But you must keep really good records - for Tax - for 7 years:
all the places you visit to do quotes,
all the jobs,
all expenditure and all income.
Record miles driven - to get materials etc.
Expenditure on stationary used, phone costs.
If you are only doing a small amount of work and keep good records yourself your accountancy bill could be less than £200 per year - but it could be higher.

If you have a van/tools/phone supplied by company you must not use them on your own job (unlesss boss says it is ok!).

And then what ever is left as profit will be taxed at what ever rate applies to you.

And as said by others there may be a small amount of National Insurance.

Don't be scared to phone up HMRC to ask questions about tax - they are mostly helpful and friendly people!

Last edited by a moderator:
GSR is 438 for the first yr
My business insurance for yr 1 was 470

If you can use your companies FGA then why not? I managed to get a 2nd hand one for 290 plus calibration and new 02 sensor.

Check your contract if you havent signed anything regarding doing your own jobs outside work then what is it do with your employer. If they have a problem with it they will put a clause in your contract.

using your companies FGA should be fine if your boss is happy with it. Why not suggest you pay half the claibration cost to keep him/her sweet.

2 very experienced guys have been sacked recently at our place for 'private jobs'. i would definitely check with your employer 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Being in full time employment with own Gas Safe registration ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock