Discuss Being in full time employment with own Gas Safe registration ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
you req class 2 national ins £12.80 a month if you register self employed with the buisness factory you recieve £100 pound from them at mo i found advertising is expensive and not worth the money good luck.and the dreaded tax form in april

if your told its ok,

why not go and ask your boss in the morning how to set it up?

he will know.

Being self-employed when you are not at work is quite common - lots of people do it so just check with your employer first.
And check your contract of employment.
Obviously employers would not be happy if you were in competition but if that doesn't apply there shouldn't be a problem and i don't think they could stop you - but I'm not sure.

Then to work for yourself you must have your own GSR which is less than £200.
You should have public liability insurance - possibly around £300.

Then away you go.
But you must keep really good records - for Tax - for 7 years:
all the places you visit to do quotes,
all the jobs,
all expenditure and all income.
Record miles driven - to get materials etc.
Expenditure on stationary used, phone costs.
If you are only doing a small amount of work and keep good records yourself your accountancy bill could be less than £200 per year - but it could be higher.

If you have a van/tools/phone supplied by company you must not use them on your own job (unlesss boss says it is ok!).

And then what ever is left as profit will be taxed at what ever rate applies to you.

And as said by others there may be a small amount of National Insurance.

Don't be scared to phone up HMRC to ask questions about tax - they are mostly helpful and friendly people!

Last edited by a moderator:
GSR is 438 for the first yr
My business insurance for yr 1 was 470

If you can use your companies FGA then why not? I managed to get a 2nd hand one for 290 plus calibration and new 02 sensor.

Check your contract if you havent signed anything regarding doing your own jobs outside work then what is it do with your employer. If they have a problem with it they will put a clause in your contract.

using your companies FGA should be fine if your boss is happy with it. Why not suggest you pay half the claibration cost to keep him/her sweet.

2 very experienced guys have been sacked recently at our place for 'private jobs'. i would definitely check with your employer 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Being in full time employment with own Gas Safe registration ... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back