Discuss Battery drill, 18v or 14.4v, does it matter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the higher voltage will have more power, but only if the motor is same quality I believe. Something to do with extra windings I think, plus obviously the way the tool mechanics are designed. The brushless will be different.
I guess when you buy a cheap drill, you get a cheap made motor inside it.
The torque figures from each manufactorer can be a bit suspect, so just use them as a guide, especially with the more cheaper DIY tools.

yep..
the brushless are savage.
also, make sure the gearboxes aint plastic.. youll knacker them pretty quickly if using hard

lion what are those :)

mines an xrp all metal gear box with ni-mhi 2.6amp, 30min charger and plenty of batteries. i just repaired 2 of them by changing some cells from a donor battery-10 min job.
the new 4amp batteries take an hour to charge and once there gone get your hand in your pocket time!

i should imagine weight dont come into it much now, but when i bought mine a 18v with your arm in the air would soon tire you out, hence the 14.4v choice!

all depends on the budget really, a decent one without being too much would be half the money for some other tools and still give you years of service until the new nuclear powered ones become the must haves .

As has been said if you compare like with like (same motors, gbox etc) you'll get more top end torque/power with more voltage as run time is based on amp/h. Dewalt are sort of pulling a fast one with their FlexVolt system, notice they mention the battery amp rating in 18v guise (6A) but not 56v which could only possibly come in 3A. Good power, not great run time but backwards compatible, I'm fairly sure Milwaukee's 28v (5A) SDS will still **** on the 56v SDS anyway with it's superior motor and hammer mechanism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Battery drill, 18v or 14.4v, does it matter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey all, Excuse me if I get some facts wrong, I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything other than replacing radiators. We're about to get...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share my experience with "upgrading" an S plan setup to Opentherm and Vaillant Control Center (VR66). There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all, I have read through numerous online guides as well as the pinned Balancing Radiators Thread on this forum. However still have several...
Replies
Views
Hi, My combi-boiler has just given up heating the house and basically only delivers hot water. While in central heating mode it heats up and stops...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock