Search the forum,

Discuss Vitodens 200-W Combi WB2B Steppermotor does not move in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
My combi-boiler has just given up heating the house and basically only delivers hot water. While in central heating mode it heats up and stops to prevent overheating of the internal section of system. No fault or error code are displayed.

Suspicion: 3-way changeover valve assy.

So I temporarily switched boiler to hot water only. So finally I found some time to look under the hood:

I have suspected the stepper motor that controls the three way valve to be faulty. I pulled it off and measured it but it seems OK. Not sure if the valve itself works as it should, it lacks a bit of feeling to it.

So I have re-assembled everything and on power-up it seems to do a system self-test where the stepper motor moves up and down and then rests permanently in the up position (DHW), telling me that it is working and so is the electronic driver circuit. (This does not happen when pressing the reset button, which seems to be a more low-level reset.)

Again, when heating demand is active the stepper motor does not move from the DHW position yet the boiler starts heating, therefore reaching the temp limit of the internal hot water system and then switches off. Odd that there is no error feedback to stop this from happening, as the controller should be aware of the valve position, right?

When I pull the stepper motor off and move the three way valve to ‘heating circuit’ manually, the radiators warm up immediately, so pump and all else is good. Checked all the sensors, they measure OK as well.

Has anybody got an idea what might prevent the valve motor to change over? I suspect it is the valve itself or the hot water draw switch (that has priority) but the valve does not move. (It doesn’t require major force that the stepper motor would be overloaded). It just does nothing and just sits there. I checked the HW draw switch a year ago and it worked fine.

Anybody go any ideas where else to look before I start draining?

Thanks!

Michael

(While I am registered here as “DIY” I am a professional electrical and electronics engineer with degree and worked on quite a few heating systems and boilers. However I do not know the secrets of this boiler beyond the manuals and appreciate a hint from a professional.)

To answer my own question for those who were interested is that it seemed to have been the flow sensor switch that was stuck in the no-flow postion. (open circuit). When flow is detected the reed switch closes. It did nothing either way. A tiny bit of contamination was found. May have been something bigger that was already flushed down the drain. Switch cleaned and all seems normal (for now).
BTW only requires stopping and draining the fresh water side, thank god.

Hi
It seems like i have exatly same problem - the step motor push up and just hot water is working, when i remove the step motor it warm also the radiator.

What to do excatly ?
Thank you so much

Attachments

• IMG_2050.jpeg
    IMG_2050.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2049.jpeg
    IMG_2049.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 12

Reply to Vitodens 200-W Combi WB2B Steppermotor does not move in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs, radiators upstairs and an unvented hot water cylinder for hot water. We are thinking of moving to a heat pump at some point but aren't ready to do this. My...
Replies
Views
Hello! I have a large house, 20 radiators + UFH. Heated house area is about 350 m2. House is class B, it is written in the certificate that house requires 73 kWh(m2/year) for heating. I had my system fully upgraded last year, installed new Vitodens 200-W 49 kW (B2HA) model with Vitotronic 200...
Replies
Views
Conditions: nearly 10 year old boiler WB2B, heating mode off, DHW on or also in standby, Boiler shows no fault LED on, no new fault logged, room thermostat deactivated. Boiler gets odd attacks of suddenly turning on the fan 100%, then (gas valve and ignition are clicking?) potentially tries to...
Replies
Views
Morning, I have a job later this week with the above , Viessmann Vitodens System boiler. It has a 4 pipe setup with internal diverter and at present there is a wireless thermostat/programmer controller in the hallway. Customer wants a Honeywell Evohome System and I just wondered if I can wire...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock