Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Condensing/Balancing Questions/Theory in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

D

David A

Hi all,

I have read through numerous online guides as well as the pinned Balancing Radiators Thread on this forum. However still have several questions.

Earlier this year we moved to a bigger house and with the rising energy costs just want to ensure we are doing our best to get the most efficiency out of our heating system as I'm sure everyone is. We have a combi condensing boiler. Unfamiliar with many terms so forgive me if I am getting things confused.

Firstly in regards to the boiler condensing and the flow and return temperatures.
  • Is the goal essentially the ability to set the flow temperature low enough whilst ensuring radiators give off enough heat to still heat the room to a comfortable level? This would result in a saving as for example heating the flow to 80 degrees as opposed to 50 degrees would take slightly longer/make the pump work more often?
  • How does the return temperature come into play/how relevant is it for condensing?
  • Are there any optimal ratios as guides?
  • How can one practical verify the temperature of the flow and return?

Secondly does the above for condensing what the flow/return is set to impact the radiator balancing.
- I.e. if flow is set to 80 degrees or 50 degrees, would the recommended value drop between the radiator lockshield and TRV (if fit) change? So instead of being 12 degree difference be something else?

Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

The return temperature at the boiler governs the temperature of the heat exchanger surface that condenses the water vapour component of the products of combustion. The lower the better for this but there is a law of diminishing returns so 50°C is the usual target for a natural gas boiler. There is a circa 10% gain in 'efficiency' (i.e. reduction in fuel consumption) to be had by reducing the return temperature from 60°C or above to 50°C or below.

Living areas are most comfortable when the radiators are on continuously with a flow temperature that is just right to balance the losses from the room. Weather compensation attempts to achieve this.

When weather compensation is not available, the boiler flow temperature is set to a fixed value, typically 65°C and the boiler cycles on and off so the average power delivered to the house satisfies a thermostat that is positioned near the centre of the dwelling.

You can measure the flow and return temperatures with 'pipe thermometers' which you can buy anywhere that sell heating components. Alternatively, you can put your thumb on the pipe and time how long you can keep it there before you go 'ouch' and take it off. If that's ten seconds or more the pipe is at around 50°C or below. Zero seconds and it's around 60°C or above. This assumes that you have a British Standard thumb, of course.

Reply to Boiler Condensing/Balancing Questions/Theory in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Wb 4000 recently installed, and just balanced the rads with around 16 degree delta across most rads. I'm trying to make sure that the return temperature to the boiler are less than 55 degrees to ensure condensing is occurring. But in the service menu it only shows the primary heat exchanger...
Replies
Views
Return temperature
R
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees but still. Flow set to 60 degrees for now. 1.Obviously I want to ensure the return temperature into the boiler is below the 55 ish degrees needed for...
Replies
Views
S
Morning all, I have a Worcester Bosch 8000 life 40kw boiler on system with 7 radiators and the boiler is located in the loft of a 1907 end of terrace house. It has been range rated down to 50% and I currently have the flow temperature set to 64, due to slow warm up. I recently purchased a...
Replies
Views
Simon from Watford
S
R
Hi, The outlet of all my radiators are at 55°C, but the boiler keep showing the Return Temperature is 60°C (and keep raising at 1°C/min rate) Also the flow temperature keeps going up above the set point and when it reaches +5°C above the set point, the boiler shuts down (even before the room...
Replies
Views
Renato
R
A
My boiler will not heat up past 50 degrees. This is the temperature that is registering on the esi thermostat. Radiators have been bled not sure what else I can do
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock