Search the forum,

Discuss Bath leaking from plug/waste - what to replace/fix? :S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rthomas_uk

Hi all,

You guys helped me out a while back with a slow filling cistern, I'm hoping you'll do so again!

I'll do my best to explain what's happening.

We've started to get a lot of water leakage when draining the bath. I've had a look around the trap and the waste pipe and it appear like the seal, or whatever it may be called, between the underside of the plug and the waste pipe/plug outlet has failed. The waste pipe in question is part of a Wirquin(sp?) combined waste/overflow stainless steel jobby with the twist-to-close mechanism.

On closer inspection of the black waste pipe attached to the bath, and what suggests to my simple brain that it's the root cause, I could see play from side/side and even up/down - the up/down movement was quite small, about 1mm, but I'm guessing that is more than enough to see the leak that I'm getting. I tightened the screw in the middle of the plug and that got rid of the play and 90% of the leak.

I've tried a few test runs i.e. drying all of the fitting under the bath with tissue and then running some water down the plug, each time it's the black plastic waste pipe that gets wet first. I can't see any leak coming from any of the nuts(?) around the trap, they only appear to get wet once the water starts running down the outside of the waste pipe.

The black waste pipe itself appears fine, I think it's just the seal/washer/join/whatever between it and the bottom of the bath/plug hole. As the drip appears drastically reduced, is it worth just sealing it up with Dow Corning? Or is it likely to be the washer? In which case, any advice on exactly how I take remove the waste pipe would be gratefully received!

Thanks,
Rich

is it one of the tighten with a screw from the top fitting? can it be tightened more?
or if a nut fitting will it tighten up?
best to undo to inspect the washer, has it split/perished? if so renew
or as you say bung it with silicone, but probably better to clean it up and use ptfe tape to improve the washer then tighten it all back together. there is minimal pressure on these joints so shouldn't take to much to fix it.

Correct on the first one, there's something akin to a hollow screw (if that makes sense) going down through the stainless plug. I think I could possibly tighten this a bit more but I was worried of cracking something through over-tightening; is this a danger?

To check the washer, do I just disconnect the waste from the trap and undo that screw going down through the plug?

if its a hollow screw which looks like it needs a very large flat screwdriver to turn you can use things like a steel rule or end of a wood chisel (the blunter the better) basically anything flat, wide and strong.

if its a hollow screw which looks like it needs a very large flat screwdriver to turn you can use things like a steel rule or end of a wood chisel (the blunter the better) basically anything flat, wide and strong.

Cheers for reply AW but there's no problem in how to tighten, just whether there's a danger of over-tightening and thus cracking something...

giv it a gew, there will be a chance of overtightening it but if its the metal hollow type then its a metal to metal thread and will take a fair bit of pressure. If you feel capable of stripping the waste apart then do that first and check rubber seals and replace with new or mastic. If you apply grease or mastic to the rubber seals tho dont tighten to much as they will likely slip.

Cheers AW, if I loosen the hollow screw will that simply release the waste from the bottom of the bath? Or is there something else I have to do as well? Not including disconnecting the trap from the waste...

if you loosen the screw and take it out you should be able to remove both the underside rubber and the top(between waste outlet and bath)

I always use plumbers mate on this occasion that will sort the problem.
make sure that you put plumbers mate on both sides of rubber ring.

Last edited:
Thank leonard, my initial thought was to use PM but somebody told me that I may be better off with silicone..?

plumbers mate is the traditional stuff for waste fittings but traditionally waste fitting were chrome or brass fitted to a ceramic basin/sink or a metal bath.
if any plastic is in use either the bath/basin or the waste fitting then you should not use a product that contains linseed oils as they can degrade the plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bath leaking from plug/waste - what to replace/fix? :S in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock