Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Banging TRVs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of my TRVs make a banging noise. I have a pumpedsystem, with 3 port valve and 2 loft tanks. The valves are all flowing in thecorrect direction with the arrows on valve body – the valves are on the flowpipes into rads.
Should I try replacing the valves? If not, would it be agood idea to try a Grundfos Alpha pump that automatically varies it’s flow, ormaybe an automatic bypass?
Any suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:
What make are the TRVs?

Is it an open vent or sealed system?

would say first thing to look at is make and quality of valves...you should always have a good by pass on the system...this is way systems should be designed and not just stuck in..designed systems,meeting the customers requirement make such a difference..

Thanks for your replies.

Ray Stafford>>>>> They're old Mysons.Open vented.

Just wondering why this started a while ago with one, then a couple more TRVs started doing it. Do the TRVs weaken/wear with age. Should I try new TRVs first, then bypass? Or go straight for bypass first?

Old mysons won't be Bi Directional, if the TRV is on the return( switch the heating on and see which pipe gets hot first, that's the flow) it will struggle to shut as the pump is pushing against it.

if they are that old can't see them being bi-directional i have had valves chattering as they shut down on temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Banging TRVs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am trying to fit a Hive Radiator valve into my existing TRV valve body to make them automatic so have bought a Hive valve to try it out. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I have a three-zone 2016 house with gas heating. When the downstairs heating switches off, it bangs extremely loudly. I have tried adding...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
So after having engineer drawings back I'm limited to around 90cm of loft height. I was thinking of a preplumbed horizontal cylinder. But now...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock