Discuss Automatic Bypass Valve Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

No. Don't "fully open" it. It should be set to operate at the highest pressure difference that allows it to achieve its intended purpose.

If you are determined to play around open it by small amounts, say quarter turns until it reduces the 1840 noise. But, if you open it enough to completely eliminate the 1840 noise you'll probably have gone too far and have replaced one problem with another.

Fully opening it was simply to establish if it was/is plumbed in properly.

I have tried opening the lock shield valve a bit and closing it but made no difference whilst the noise was happening. The pump is built in to the boiler and it can run on either 70 percent or 100 percent. It’s on the default of 70 percent.
Any idea what make/model of circ pump fitted.?

Thanks, could you post the setting up instructions of your ABV, it should then be relatively easy to set it up properly.
Here you go. Thanks
51342FE8-CDFE-41ED-BD6C-A7A244637CEF.jpeg
A36EABC4-72E9-4CD4-8668-34848B5A7604.jpeg

Straightforward enough.
1. Shut off the ABV, turn the setting knob clockwise to o.5
2. Ensure all zones (if fitted) on, and all TRV.s fully open.
3. Turn any/all room stats to max. (my suggestion)
4. Ensure boiler is actually firing or cycling on/off.
5. Very slowly turn ABV setting knob anticlockwise until the outlet pipe starts getting warm/hot.
6. Turn ABV setting knob clockwise by 1/2 a turn.
Forget the rest of the instructions for awhile and you can revisit them later.
Re 5 above. IMO, you can expect the pipe(s) to start to get warm at ~ setting 0.3 to 0.2.

Last edited:
The ABV must be fitted between the flow and the pipe between zone valve and boiler. If it's on the wrong side of the valve there will be no flow to the boiler when the valve is closed, which defeats the purpose of the ABV.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Did you see my pic and post number 3? Does the position looks wrong ?

The first vertical pipe is the return. This has the zone valve attached. The furthest right says flow from boiler on it. The abv is on a pipe from the return to the flow. I am not sure what the other horizontal pipe is below the horizontal one with the abv. This joins to the flow but has its own pipe going to the boiler on the other end.

24D6DC9D-0F8F-4708-8002-4AA142146C49.jpeg

6B5C5567-7623-4D28-952E-5A4B74DE61C5.jpeg

The first vertical pipe is the return. This has the zone valve attached. The furthest right says flow from boiler on it. The abv is on a pipe from the return to the flow. I am not sure what the other horizontal pipe is below the horizontal one with the abv. This joins to the flow but has its own pipe going to the boiler on the other end.

View attachment 36925
View attachment 36926

I thought it was thrashed out re the ABV positioning and the consensus was that it is installed correctly, my only slight unease concerns the vertical "return" pipe, this has a motorized valve attached which I would have thought is a bit unusual as they are normally installed on the flow.
I will just repeat what I said in some other post above, with the boiler firing normally and up to temperature, open (anticlockwise) the ABV fully to index 0.1, if the pipes on both sides of this don't get "red" hot in less than say 1 to 2 minutes then you have a problem. Just re close (clockwise) the ABV fully to index 0.5 after the test.

Reply to Automatic Bypass Valve Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A plumber recently told me my bypass pipework is poorly designed as it’s offering a low path of resistance v the motorised valve T junctions, and...
Replies
Views
Do people with this type of mixed flow temperature control have any problems with achieving the required manifold flow temperature? The one below...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock