Search the forum,

Discuss Asbestos tank... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secret squirrel

Today, I had to drain down a cold water tank. It was made of asbestos, now, being new to all this I was a little shocked. I explained to the house holder who lives on his own and a pensioner about his tank and he said that he knew.

I offered to replace the tank at a good price plus the cost of the tank. I was told not to worry as it only did the hot water.

I take his point that he doesn't use the hotwater for anything other than washing. eg: pooring hot water into a sauce pan to help speed up cooking veg etc. but isn't this madness or am I over reacting?

Are we under an obligation to sort this out under water regs? or report this to someone?

Apparently not as they are safe unless broken, I had a similar incident. Was told to leave it alone, I wouldnt however be drilling into it. Have seen a few now where new tanks have been installed and the old one just wrapped up in polythene. Due to the cost of removing by a permitted person.

dont saw dont drill replace if custermer says ok,once drained wrap and seal in poly and leave in loft

are these tanks only a weak cement based asbestos that are not as harmfull ? some thing i heard but either way i dont want to drill or smash it !

Take it as being worst case scenario always

i think its the less harmful white asbestos but you still dont want to be breathing it in.

You can still use asbestos cement roofing sheet in the UK can you not?
An asbestos cement tank is about the same level as that, we used to cut the holes with a brace and one legged tank cutter, no power tools in those days, lighting for working in the roof space, was if you were lucky a tilly lamp

You can still use asbestos cement roofing sheet in the UK can you not?
An asbestos cement tank is about the same level as that, we used to cut the holes with a brace and one legged tank cutter, no power tools in those days, lighting for working in the roof space, was if you were lucky a tilly lamp
a tilley lamp? we were lucky to get a candle

weak or not dont work on ,this is only way you will not be held responsible at a later day

I'm almost sure you can't use asbestos on garage roofs, I tried to replace a garage roof in the past which was asbestos and was told you can't buy it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos tank... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock