Search the forum,

Discuss All my hot water dissipating into heat leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bugginbob

I have a WBS with back boiler and have had a newark presurrised vented thermal store fitted along with new pipework and rads.

Initially the heat leak rad wasnt getting hot at all and the installer eventually (after I got cross) found that he had positioned the expansion tank too low so any excess hot water was travelling up into the expansion tank and then out onto the roof rather than dissipating into the heat leak rad. The height of the tank was changed and now the heat leak gets hot. This is fine when the WBS is running but at other times when relying on immersions in the store all the heat from the store dissipates into the heat leak rad. Twin immersins cant keep up with the heat loss and the installer tells me to manually turn off the heat leak each night/morning.

I gather the heat leak shouldnt be turned off for safety reasons and remembering to turn it on and off is a nightmare, not to mention a pain as that room is always at the wrong temperature. It's pointeless having a thermal store though when all it's heat is lost within a couple of hours. As there is an expansion tank and another vent on the thermal store is it safe to fit some kind of valve to the tee to the heat leak rad to keep it off until the water in the tank is at a certain temp.

Should the water be expanding out of the thermal store as much as it is? The way it was sold to me suggested it would store the hot water for a reasonable period of time, not just expand out when warm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We've offered our plumber one last chance to resolve this but I want to know what the safest and most sensible option is.

You don't always need a heat leak rad off a thermal store if wired right you can have a heat dump if it gets to hot

Thanks, it has a heat dump but I gather this valve relies on power/pressure so it also has an expansion tank with the heat leak tee'd off the feed to the ET. If the ET is at the correct height the heat leak should only be getting hot when the store is excessively hot shouldnt it?

No it will gravity feed all the time as long as its hot by the sounds of the way it's piped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to All my hot water dissipating into heat leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler...
Replies
Views
Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a leak in the expansion vessel, which is on the first floor, above the hot water cylinder. As we wait for a plumber, can we keep the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock