Discuss Air testing soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm thinking of renewing the old cast iron soil stack on our house when carrying out renovations in our bathroom (which involves moving the positions of the sanitaryware so it's quite extensive).

I read that all new soil stack installations should be air tested using a 'U' gauge in accordance with Part H of the Building Regulations.

I was wondering what folks on this forum thought of this? Is it commonly carried out?

Is it performed once everything is plumbed in, because if this is the case and a fault was found there could potentially be quite a lot of hassle tracking down where it lies, especially if it's under the floor.

Thanks in advance for any replies/advice.

Tony.

No, once you've got it up and the oulets into the bathroom, bung up the ends and do the test. You can get the test gear from most hire shops.

yes if renewing soil stack it does need to be done to check for air leaks it needs to be done after everything is is put in because you need to have your seals in place (ie sink basin toilet) to create pressure of 38mm for 3 minutes

yes if renewing soil stack it does need to be done to check for air leaks it needs to be done after everything is is put in because you need to have your seals in place (ie sink basin toilet) to create pressure of 38mm for 3 minutes

Thanks for the info.
How would you go about carrying out the test once everything is plumbed in? Where would the test gear fit into the system?

Again, thanks in advance for the help.

Tony.

Hi. Plug off the vent and base of stack (via rodding eye) Using a U tube. Pass the hose of the U tube through the water trap in the wc. so as the end is in air within the soil system. Do the same with plain hose and blow down it until you have 1.5" Wg on U tube (manometer) if there is no drop in pressure thats it done. Good Luck

Hi. Plug off the vent and base of stack (via rodding eye) Using a U tube. Pass the hose of the U tube through the water trap in the wc. so as the end is in air within the soil system. Do the same with plain hose and blow down it until you have 1.5" Wg on U tube (manometer) if there is no drop in pressure that's it done. Good Luck

Thanks very much for that descriptive explanation.
I'll print it off and use it when the time's right.

Thanks again,
Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air testing soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock