Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please folks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil K

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all

Ok here goes. I replaced a leaking pump under a bath a couple of months ago. The original job was a complete bodge, directly under the bath taps meaning that if there was a problem with the taps or they needed to be changed, pump was in the way. Flexis, plastic, push fit everywhere. No isolation valves. I took the old pump out, fitted 2 brand new lever valves first thing, resited the new pump (Stuart Turner Showermate) down the other end of the bath, repiped everything in copper, pulled bends etc. The idea being that any future problems down the line with either pump or bath mixer taps, both would be easily accessible.
Next day I get text message, there's a dent in my bath. How did that happen, I ask myself seeing as I was working under the bath. Go round and have a look. There's a warped section on the curved (tap end) of the bath and underneath a section of fibreglass has been damaged by the heat from me soldering (didn't even realise this the night before). So I put my hands up to it, say I'm really sorry about this, I'll get it sorted for you.
This lady in question who I did the job for, sends a message round to my friend who got me the job with a link in it saying to him "This might help". The link is a link to a bath ie. The same bath as she has I presume and its £160-£180 quid, I can't remember. In other words, she wants a new bath.
I have another idea. I exchange emails and texts with her and ask her is she open to the idea of the bath being repaired by a professional repair company. She says yes. I go round and take pictures (I'll put them up after, some of them might seem familiar, I put them up on Facebook on one of the groups). I send them off to 2 or 3 companies explaining how the damage had been done, is the damage repairable and how much to get it fixed. Magicman reply back to me and say yes we can fix this for 280 quid. I get onto her (she's been CCed into all emails) and she agrees. Magicman want their money upfront, I pay it, they send me email confirmation of payment, I give them her details. Take it from there, I think, problem now finally sorted, expensive for me of course but these things happen.
She gets back to me a while later saying I've heard nothing from these people. I'm polite and diplomatic, I say I'll get onto them. They get back to me saying they left her a voicemail message on such and such a date. I forward their replies onto her. All this is being done by email now so up to this point is all one long thread. I ask to be updated on works etc seeing as I've paid for them.
She rings me one the evenings last week. "Unfortunately it's bad news" she said. " The guy came out and said he couldn't do the repair, he said he needed to cut a hole in the bath and Id be better off getting a new bath". Naturally I'm fuming, I said Ok, they'll probably ring me tomorrow, I'll see what they say and get back to you.
Next day Magicman call me. They offer a refund minus yesterday's callout fee which is £50 + vat. I said I'm not having that, you guys said you could repair it and you took my money upfront. Not having it. The girl on the phone said she'd call me back. She gets back to me and clarifies Our man could have and was willing to make the repair. The customer refused.
So I text her and tell her what Magicman have told me and just to clarify Did you refuse the repair? She said yes because she was never told there'd be a hole cut in her bath and if she had shed have never agreed to it. However this is completely different to what she told me on the phone the night before. Lie number 1.
Anyway I get back onto Magicman the next day again and say, I'm not happy here, you guys said you could make the repair. According to the customer, your guy told her that the integrity of the bath be compromised etc. Now I'm going to be down 50 plus the vat here and we're no closer to a resolution.
Credit where credit is due. Their technical director, the one who would have looked at the photos originally got on the phone and offered me 2 options 1) A FULL refund or 2) They return to do the repair but either me or someone representing me is there as a witness to see that the repair is carried out to a full and high standard and there's no confusion over what is said. Can't get much fairer than that, hats off to them. I relay this information back to the lady asking her is she willing to give this a second chance.
Well she spoke to them today alright. Their technical director called me today and said despite him explaining to her in full what the full process of the repair would be, they would be repairing the bath out of the exact same thing it's made of in the first place ie. Fibreglass, they repair baths all over the place every day of the week and their reputation is everything.....she was having none of it. She was refusing the repair, she screamed down the phone at him to refund me my money. She said I told her to call them and demand my money back. That's Lie number 2. He said to me he would have no option but to give me a full refund (fair play to him again) and there was no way they could do this job for this lady now.
How I feel is.....well I feel like telling her to sod off. I haven't heard from her yet but I know I will. She wants a new bath and on top of all that, tiles are going to have to come off and be redone aswell. Do you guys think I've been reasonable enough in offering to get it repaired and should just leave it at that?

Phew! Thanks in advance for any replies

Last edited:
Unfortunately mate I think you owe her a new bath. No nice way of putting it really. Put it down to experience and move on.

+1 to the above if she wont accept the repair method new bath time sorry to say

I really don't want to go back there APP. That was the whole point in paying the extra money to get it repaired. What a nightmare. But point taken thanks

I really don't want to go back there APP. That was the whole point in paying the extra money to get it repaired. What a nightmare. But point taken thanks

Mate we've all made mistakes. It's just one of those things. You've held your hands up to it. It'll mean wasting the best part of a day but you know its gotta be done. If it was my bath I wouldn't want it repaired.

Take your time and you should be able to swap the bath without breaking any tiles
Customer will be happy and will save you afew quid as well

Offer her some "extras" too. Always goes down well...

Last edited:
Take your time and you should be able to swap the bath without breaking any tiles
Customer will be happy and will save you afew quid as well

Offer her some "extras" too. Always goes down well...

Loooool

If these guys repair baths for a living I take it they guarantee their work as well. I would imagine the quality of the repair would be better than the rest of the bath. I also imagine it would be an invisible repair.

Yes you fecked up, but you have tried to sort it, expensively as well. Tell her to foxtrot Oscar, or find the cheapest cackest bath you can and swap it over. Slice the bath in half to get the old one out without damaging the tiles.

No can do, the way it's been tiled-means umpteen tiles and trims have to come off. I had every confidence in Magicman, I'm sure they would have done a top job

I think it could go 2 ways:

1)You supply and fit a new bath. Costs you a couple hundred, if that, and a days work. She'll be happy, and the matter should be settled. Annoying, but over in a day.

2)You tell her to sod off. She tells all her friends you wrecked her bath and told her to sod off. She plasters it all over her local community internet page (they have one round here called Streetlife that all the old dears use). She may even pursue you for damages because she has lots of time to pursue these things and so do her friends.

If you don't replace the bath, sadly she could take you to small claims court, and there she will win. Court would just need to be satisfied that you damaged the bath and there was no reason for you not to have replaced it.

You have offered to get it professionally repaired. If it was unrepairable, then Magic man would have said when they initially come out. They would just say, it's beyond repair. Then you would need to bite the bullet and say "Ok I will replace it"...
If you drive into the side of someones car, you don't go out and buy them a brand new car!
She's trying it on as most "honest" members of the public would do.

You tried to do the right thing by soldering and this is your reward, I can see why you wanted to sell the problem on.

This customer of yours sounds a nightmare, if its tiles and trims off its more than a day to do it properly. Talk about doing a job with a bad taste in your mouth. She will be on you like a cheap suit.

Sometimes in business you've just got to eat a $h!t sandwich....

You have offered to get it professionally repaired. If it was unrepairable, then Magic man would have said when they initially come out. They would just say, it's beyond repair. Then you would need to bite the bullet and say "Ok I will replace it"...
If you drive into the side of someones car, you don't go out and buy them a brand new car!
She's trying it on as most "honest" members of the public would do.

Thats what I thought. They guaranteed their repair.

if it was me i would go get the cheapest bath you can find and stick it in but before doing any work get her to sign a some paper stating that you offered a full repair and it was refused therefore you're replacing the bath and will do your best to not damage any tiles but if any tiles are damaged you will not be liable for like for like replacement although you will patch up the tiles with similar tiles

I've used Plastic Surgeon once 4 years ago and the repair stood out like a red raw smacked arse.

Had to pay in full as soon as I rang up, what gives them the right to take full payment for labour and materials before even turning up? Like they've got you over a barrel just because you've rung up in a panic, people ring me in a panic but I don't demand full payment or charge £50 just because I don't want to fix something.

I know its Magicman but they will use the same repair method.

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest I wouldn't have minded changing the bath, it's the cheaper option but I didn't want to go back there and now with the way she's carried on since, telling lies and all, well now I really don't want to go back there however I do know I may have to just bite the bullet. I'm sure I read a thread or two here before about offering to put things right, and what a judge would say but I can't find it

I do know I may have to just bite the bullet. I'm sure I read a thread or two here before about offering to put things right, and what a judge would say but I can't find it

I feel for you Neil, but my honest advice will be that you grit your teeth and get round there and sort the bath with a replacement. Regardless of a thread that was here ''you did your best to put it right'', that may not help in this case?
In all situations, judges, insurance companies etc wants to 'return the agrieved party to the position they were in before the problem'. It's difficult to compare repairs to a damaged car to repairs to a damaged bath but as AAP said, if it was his bath, he would want it replaced.
I think I will have demanded a replacement as well, SORRY. Also, just going out to buy the cheapest bath you can find may not resolve the issue. Laise with her as a bath of your choice may not be satisfactory to her.

Thanks VI. No I wouldn't be replacing it with any old bath, if I do then it would be like for like

I have to say that I am completely on the customers side.

I was in her shoes, I wouldnt have agreed to a repair in the first place. The analogy with a car doesn't stand up. A car is essentially a collection of parts. Some more important than others, and some which can't be replaced, but my car with a genuine replacement headlight or steering wheel, or even front wing, is essentially as good as new.

The same thing is not true of a bath. Its very essence is its completeness. Repairing a scratch is one thing, but making a hole in it? Its like repairing a saucepan - possible maybe, but who would do it?

And I bet that the bath repair company didn't guarantee that they could repair the bath for that money. Who guarantees a price and result based on an emailed photo? You may make positive noises, but you give yourself some get out room, in case when you get there, things arent as simple as the pic suggests, surely?

Sorry mate, but I think you need to take this one on the chin.

I burnt a carpet once offered a patch or replacement but she wanted flooring I paid the labour she bought the wood always talk to the customer about the options.

My thoughts offer her a new bath supply and fit. Ray sells them for under 100 a new bath panel to keep her sweet. Say your more than happy to remove the bath but tiles may get damaged. This is where you can either see if she wants to change the tiles with new tiles or wet wall she may pay part of it or want to pay nothing. If she goes with your insurance your pooed so your going to need to side with her. As I have said I have been here with a carpet it was nightmare but my name is not mud

If you don't want to replace the bath, then how about writing her a Cheque as full and final payment for a refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice please folks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock