Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice on new system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice...

I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I can tell, it's a vented system because there's a tank in the attic for the radiators and there's no sign of a pressure cylinder anywhere - although I could be wrong?

The hot water cylinder is under the stairs and the boiler is in a boilerhouse at the other end of the building, approx 15-20 metres away. We're trying to keep pressure off of the electrical system so have removed the electric shower and don't particularly want an electric water heater.

I've considered replacing the cylinder but I can only fit a 300L cylinder in the space under the stairs. I could fit a 300L & a 200L cylinder side by side but I'm not sure if that's possible/sufficient?

The current boiler is a Grant euroflame 90-120 (26-36kW from googling) and at least 5 years old from looking at it if not more.

Should I upgrade the boiler to a larger/more efficient one? Should I add solar tubes? Or should I remove the cylinder from under the stairs and relocate it to the boilerhouse where there's plenty of room for an 800/1000L cylinder?

What are my options / what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

If you use the search box at the top right of the page, (look for 'guest house' and 'small hotel') you'll find several long threads exploring this topic in detail.

To cut a long story short, you'll need a firm of commercial plumbers to install it and they'll probably insist you use a consulting engineer for the design.

Reply to Advice on new system in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock