Discuss Advice on Electrical Fault Finding? Any help is immensely appreciated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Blackburn

Good morning all. I hope you are well.

I am hoping someone on here can help me.

I'm seeking some advice on the best way to quickly learn Electrical Fault Finding, preferably on Mechanical Systems.

I need to learn quickly as I had a trial day yesterday with a Gas Service Engineer who said that if I could learn about this topic by the next time we speak (2 weeks) I'd be pretty much the man for him and he'd take me on to train me up to become a Gas Service Engineer.

I've noted the usual: Understand how it is supposed to operate, Visual signs, Rule out functioning parts and list possible causes/faults, Most probable causes - prove it or rule it out, Determine cause, Replace & retest.

Also I have ordered a book called Wiring System & Fault Finding for Installation Electricians (5th Edition) and am now trying to learn how to use a Multimeter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be used for the greater good :D

Thank you in advance for your time

Well you will have to have a sound understanding of electrical systems and component function.
Also being able to operate test equipment and to interpret the results.
Youd also have to understand regs regarding unsafe installations incase what your working on isnt to standards.

Frankly id say not a chance in 2 weeks.
But I hope im wrong and you succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
theres no quick way to learn any trade it takes time, patience experience etc

As per the above two posts. Think he's a, tailing the Micky out of you or b, a complete half whit.

I'd learn all you can over the next 2 weeks - he might just want to see if you're prepared to put some effort in.

What heating system have you got where you live ?
Maybe you can start seeing how all the components work on that as a start

obviously you can't start delving insider a gas boiler until you're qualified but if youve got a more traditional type system there's plenty to learn about without even touching the boiler.

(hint) - I'd be reasonably impressed if someone asking for a job knew how to test if a motorised valve was working

Last edited:
I`ve got no idea how old you are so I`d like to think that its a little test to see if your prepared to put some effort in over the 2 weeks otherwise he`s a idiot like ermintrude said

Thanks for all your reply guys. I'm 26 and he's a very knowledgeable man with a very successful company. He says it's a gamble for him to take me or anyone on as a trainee but he's looking for one so I'm at least in the runnings.
When I left, he said that if I could learn about Electrical Fault Finding on Mechanical Systems and learn how use a Multimeter I'd be the one he wants. We arranged to speak in 2 weeks and I said I'll learn as much as I can. I'm sure he doesn't expect me to know loads but as Blod said, I think he wants to know I'm willing to learn.
realistically I have about 3 months before he'd want me to start as have a baby due and he told me to take my paternity leave with current company as I'd get better money and wouldn't miss out on the training provided.
He seems very genuine so I am going to learn as much as possible. I believe in me and I'm hoping he will enough to take me on.

I was just hoping you guys could point me in the direction :D

kevin, pm me your email address and ill send you anything i have that will be usefull.

you need to start at the basics.

1st thing to learn is safe isolation. Not the standard plumbers way of seeing if the lights gone out and asuming its ok. If you cant isolate something with an electrical supply in a safe way its not worth learning any other tests.

Last edited:
There is also a test of competence to work on such systems.
You havent stated exactly what the systems are, which will determine the level of competence required.

But it you are looking at fixed installations supplying such appliances and the appliances themselves you will need to prove competence.

How can you tell the appliance is earthed correctly .
How can you tell if the earth is satisfactory and what test is right (Tn Tns Tncs) and able to carry a fault current. How can you tell the fuse or other protective device is operating correctly.
How can you tell you have correctly isolated the appliance prior to work and physically test it is electrically dead - removing the fuse is not enough.
How will you do this without calibrated equipment.
Im being devils advocate here but these are real and everyday considerations before you even start work.

Competence comes typically via a level 3 and 17th and part p (as you stated electrical work mainly ??? )
If you cant do that then you will be breaking the law.

As I say I do understand you are going to train but until you have competence you possibly shouldnt even be touching stuff.

Some of the seaward and alphatec gear I used to use would take a week to understand the machines full capabilities

You possibly need to explain more of the type of work.

I dont know many gas engineers who dont understand the full goings on electrical wise inside boilers so does he want you for sorting out the fixed installations ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on Electrical Fault Finding? Any help is immensely appreciated in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I’m still very new to boiler fault finding but was wondering whether you could advise me on a particular multimeter or tester that would...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. We have had two leaks at home in the last 2 weeks; luckily we were in for both events and...
Replies
Views
R
Hello Just a quick question. I had a new Vaillant ecotec plus boiler installed in Nov 2021, with a 10 yr extended warranty. I've been trying to...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, I'm English and live in the Czech Republic and I'm having difficulty with my heating system. Unfortunately, I cant find any heating engineer...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock