Search the forum,

Discuss Electrical fault finding? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. I’m still very new to boiler fault finding but was wondering whether you could advise me on a particular multimeter or tester that would help with fault finding? The wife has been a good one and got me a Martindale ET5 open jaw tester but I’m unsure whether they’re any good? I can’t really find much on YouTube about them so any advice would be great. Plus, it’s not a cheapo, I thinks it’s inline with the Fluke 113 for price. Cheers

I bought a cheapish Extech one (approx £35), which was good, although the batteries kept coming out inside, but that might have been because I was a bit careless with it.
I then damaged the probes, but replacements were a little expensive. I then bought an Amprobe (now owned by Fluke) which is an ok bit of kit, abut more DIY, but they do better testers, cheaper than Fluke.

I’ve since bought a Fluke 117 (second hand from eBay), which hasn’t had much use. I use my 2 pole voltage tester more, probably because I don’t want to damage my multimeter 😉, but also because you’re now supposed to use these for dead testing.

Martindale produce decent equipment, so I’ll say it’s probably a decent piece of equipment, and ok as a multimeter.

Your Martindale ET5 does everything a reasonable multimeter would do, and to me looks a decent piece of kit.
I've an electrical background, and use a (Megger) Avo 410 amongst others, but your ET5 has jaws, and temperature measurement as well, so seems pretty well suited to me. It seems to have protection from being 'blown up' through selecting an incorrect range!
Just a question of getting familiar with it I guess?

General advice on fault-finding will be equally valid for any high impedance digital meter.

Don't use the ET5 voltage sensing feature for dead testing though! As per Undertrained, use a 2 pole voltage tester for that.
I use a Martindale one of those 🤪

Don't use the ET5 voltage sensing feature for dead testing though! As per Undertrained, use a 2 pole voltage tester for that.
I use a Martindale one of those 🤪
Seeing as the answer might save my life, what's the advantage of a 2-pole voltage tester over a multimeter set to AC Volts scales and then DC Volts scales other than you risk selecting the wrong scale and burning the circuitry?

You’ve already answered your own question, a 2 pole voltage indicator, approved to GS38 shouldn’t give a false reading, or being selected to the wrong setting. GS38 is the HSE document that gives guidance on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing as the answer might save my life, what's the advantage of a 2-pole voltage tester over a multimeter
IMO, the non-contact voltage measurement feature is of limited use. You can't rely on it to prove a dead circuit but it might be useful in some circumstances, e.g. tracing a live cable.

Typical fault finding needs only very basic scales; volts and ohms mostly, amps occasionally. An audible continuity test is also nice to have. The ET5 has a backlight for the display and 'torch' facility, which is a plus for usability but it doesn't have scales for currents in the range 0.1mA – 1A, which is a minus. For work on heating/plumbing systems 'rugged' trumps 'precise'.

IMO, the non-contact voltage measurement feature is of limited use. You can't rely on it to prove a dead circuit but it might be useful in some circumstances, e.g. tracing a live cable.
Where did non contact voltage indicator’s come into it?

Where did non contact voltage indicator’s come into it?
The ET5 has a 'non-contact' voltage probe feature built into one of the jaw tips. Maybe useful, but not something to use for dead testing!
Edit - sorry Chuck - beat me to it

As an aside, I hadn't noticed that the ET5 dc current ranges started at 0.1A so that is less sensitive than a typical multimeter.
I think it can only measure current using the 'jaws', so you can't use the leads for that.
How often do you need to measure low-ish currents with boiler maintenance - I'm interested to hear if this is an issue?

Last edited:
How often do you need to measure low-ish currents with boiler maintenance - I'm interested to hear if this is an issue?
I can’t say I’ve ever needed to measure currents for a boiler or heating system, other may have and can verify.

Sorry, I was confused, Chuck quoted Ric when he asked about 2 pole voltage testers, but then mentioned non contact voltage testers 🧐

It can be helpful when having a look at pumps low amp modes as most pull around 0.2 amps or less

So what’s the overall consensus then chaps? Get to grips with the martindale because it’s good enough or return it and get the 113? Cheers fellas. Always good to hear other peoples opinions.

So what’s the overall consensus then chaps? Get to grips with the martindale because it’s good enough or return it and get the 113? Cheers fellas. Always good to hear other peoples opinions.
AFAIK, the Fluke 113 doesn't measure AC or DC current at all so I'd keep the ET5.

My preferred option, however, would be to trade up to the Fluke 115, which adds DC and AC current ranges and is designed for field technicians, which matches your profile a bit better. A bit more expensive than the 113 but it's a tool and I consider a good tools to be an investment.

Last edited:
For safe isolation do I need to have a 2 pole tester as well? Are the multimeters no good for this?

For safe isolation do I need to have a 2 pole tester as well? Are the multimeters no good for this?
Strictly speaking, yes, you should have a 2 pole tester as well.
The reason being it is thought too easy to set a meter to the wrong range, or the meter might be faulty, or the user mis-interpret the reading as safe when it's not etc. etc.
The idea is that a 2-pole tester is much more likely to give a reliable indication, and is unambiguous.
And from a HASAWA angle, a professional would be expected to have the appropriate equipment for the job 👍

If you work for a firm, possibly the same might apply to subbying, you’ll be bound by their working practices as well.

Strictly speaking, yes, you should have a 2 pole tester as well.
The reason being it is thought too easy to set a meter to the wrong range, or the meter might be faulty, or the user mis-interpret the reading as safe when it's not etc. etc.
The idea is that a 2-pole tester is much more likely to give a reliable indication, and is unambiguous.
And from a HASAWA angle, a professional would be expected to have the appropriate equipment for the job 👍
It’s quite funny you say this. Out of the companies I’ve worked for as PAYE, I’ve never seen another engineer carry out any safe isolation practices. Even when I’ve worked along side the company owner.

It’s quite funny you say this. Out of the companies I’ve worked for as PAYE, I’ve never seen another engineer carry out any safe isolation practices. Even when I’ve worked along side the company owner.
Tbf though, I don’t if I’m working at the boiler, seems pointless with local isolation at the spur. Majority of stuff is a tick box exercise, but as long as you can prove you can do it, then that’s all that matters.

Tbf though, I don’t if I’m working at the boiler, seems pointless with local isolation at the spur. Majority of stuff is a tick box exercise, but as long as you can prove you can do it, then that’s all that matters.
You should always check. One day you'll come across a system that some clown has got the wiring to a thermostat or pump wrong with the result that there is a second live feed back to the boiler. :-(

You should always check. One day you'll come across a system that some clown has got the wiring to a thermostat or pump wrong with the result that there is a second live feed back to the boiler. :-(
True, and appreciate the comments, but I’d say 95% of our housing stock is combi boilers. Sometimes I do check, or there are times I do have to check.

My wife literally just said “why are you looking at electrical meters so much, surely you’d just take the fuse out to be on the safe side”. Knows her stuff haha

My wife literally just said “why are you looking at electrical meters so much, surely you’d just take the fuse out to be on the safe side”. Knows her stuff haha
Assuming that the house was correctly wired with the fuses in the live feeds.

And the second thing that apprentices are taught (right after how to make the tea) is that you never 'assume' things. (The first is how to make tea properly.)

Ah. Good old British wiring where there is a fuse you can remove and where there is such a concept as polarity. Things I miss about England...

The only problem with 2-pole testers is they are (probably) absolutely useless in places such as the flat where I am currently living where switching is often on the neutral, it is all single-core cable in conduit, some of the earth cables don't actually go anywhere, and choice of cable colour does not necessarily follow standard practice. Either it's a very long lead to a known earth or neutral or you have to double-check any test with a death stick or finger flick technique.

Probably a professional electrician would have ways around these problems.

Ah. Good old British wiring where there is a fuse you can remove and where there is such a concept as polarity. Things I miss about England...

The only problem with 2-pole testers is they are (probably) absolutely useless in places such as the flat where I am currently living where switching is often on the neutral, it is all single-core cable in conduit, some of the earth cables don't actually go anywhere, and choice of cable colour does not necessarily follow standard practice. Either it's a very long lead to a known earth or neutral or you have to double-check any test with a death stick or finger flick technique.

Probably a professional electrician would have ways around these problems.
Wouldn’t have thought neutral switching would matter that much, as you test L-N, L-E and N-E, so as long as it’s all dead, wouldn’t matter?

Wouldn’t have thought neutral switching would matter that much, as you test L-N, L-E and N-E, so as long as it’s all dead, wouldn’t matter?
True, but if you also find the green/yellow cable isn't earthed because the sparkie ran out of cables in the nearest junction, then you can't test L-E when the circuit is isolated which leaves you only with a L-N test. A L-N test does not prove the L is no longer live as you might have just isolated the neutral.

True, but if you also find the green/yellow cable isn't earthed because the sparkie ran out of cables in the nearest junction, then you can't test L-E when the circuit is isolated which leaves you only with a L-N test. A L-N test does not prove the L is no longer live as you might have just isolated the neutral.

Thats pure carp.

ALL cables carrying 230v should be connected to the earth / cpc - there are no exceptions.

Thats pure carp.

ALL cables carrying 230v should be connected to the earth / cpc - there are no exceptions.
Does this apply to all countries, eg an international standard? Ric is currently in Italy iirc.

Oh the wiring in these flats is worse than that!

I recently decided to replace the emergency light which no longer worked. The emergency light takes its live and neutral from behind a bulkhead(?) wall lamp fitting which, in turn is fed from behind the light switch below. Faults found while doing this:

1. The wall lamp is 1970s and predates the requirement for an earth in Italy, and so has no earth terminal, but it would have been easy enough to fit one to the metal casing when the place was re-wired in 1993. This had not been done, but there was a green and yellow cable run to the fitting as if the intention was there. The earth cable that was run (but not connected) to the bulkhead light fitting was, at the opposite end, connected to another cable serving another similar lamp but not to the green/yellow cable run to the main junction box.

2. The single core phase and neutral cables run to the emergency light were visible on the wall without conduit. In fairness, they were only exposed for a couple of inches, but still, this strikes me as wrong (although it is common to see a short section of exposed single-core single insulated cables at electricity meters, so perhaps this is not considered a fault over here).

3. The green/yellow cable from the lightwitch to the main junction box was being used as a neutral. As the bulkhead lamps have their neutral switched at a remote relay, there was no permanent neutral from which to feed the emergency light, so what was clearly intended to be an earth endeded up being misappropriated.

4. The green/yellow cable was identified in the main junction box as being a neutral by being joined to the main neutral terminal via a short section of blue cable. The joint was twist and tape (not a marriage joint - literally twist and tape). The joint at the lightswitch junction box was similar, but the cable's actual nature was not identified by any kind of coloured tab or sheathing.

5. The bulkhead light itself is of a design that a quite elaborate mechnism involving levers and moving parts to allow for removal of the glass cover and the lampholder design could easily short the casing and the lamp terminals together should a set screw come loose. To add to these inherent design limitations, it was only fixed to the wall by a single screw because drilling two holes was too much like hard work, just to make a fault developing a little more likely.

6. ES type bulbholder connected with neutral to inside pin.

7. The entire installation was signed off as a compliant installation by a registered electrician in 1993. He was previously a waiter. I expect the hotel was glad to see him leave.

I have corrected some of the above faults myself as the waiting time for a local electrician seems to be about 3 years.

Thats pure carp.

What about class 2 fittings I believe eg all plastic ?

The cpc should run continuously back to the fuseboard.
so if the light or fan is class 2 then turn make sure it’s not connected but accessible or mug sparks like me can’t test them later 😁
Am I right in thinking that, in the UK, a new Class II light fitting should still have a CPC available to it (but that it would not be considered more than a recommendation on an EICR should the CPC be missing on an existing installation)?

Reply to Electrical fault finding? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock