Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice for my future would be welcoming! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi I'm 29 years old and I would like to find out about the plumbing trade for the future years. I've tryed to get an apprenticeship but its so difficult as times are hard so I've applied for a pre apprentice in plumbing full time at my local college. It's a year and hopefully the college will try and get a employer. Before this I was a van driver earning easy money until I decided I had enough and I wanted to become a plumber as its a job you keep learning and can get your hands dirty plus there's a wide range so you won't get bored doing the same thing over and over again.also once you become more advance plumber I'd like to go into the gas and boiler servicing but that's along long way.
i needed some sort of experience so I decided to replace my own bathroom from relocating the pipe work and concealing the waste pipe and copper pipe into the wall,everything to start to finish I did on my own from my own research.
So I send my c,v and photography's to a few company's seeking on a start and I got a break! So I quit my 7 years job and rented out my property and stayed with the folks as I was on a trainees wage. 3 months down the line I was paid off. The plus side there were no full qualified plumbers at the company and I was so eager to learn but frustrated i never so I was glad to be paid off so I could start college.

Now I found this new plumbing forum it's great to find out real life situations with the plumbing world.

just read a few of the threads on this subject and youll have a better idea as to a future in this trade at present.

What is a snipef skills test??????!

Hi I'm not a plumber yet but I have an interview for my local council as an apprentice plumber. I have to Sit a SNIPEF skills test?! I want to do some revision so can achieve a pass and then hopefully gain my apprenticeship, but i have no clue what it is? Any advise would be great

Last edited:
Re: What is a snipef skills test??????!

Hi I'm not a plumber yet but I have an interview for my local council as an apprentice plumber. I have to Sit a SNIPEF skills test?! I want to do some revision so can achieve a pass and then hopefully gain my apprenticeship, but i have no clue what it is? Any advise would be great

There is nothing hard about it. The questions are put into a plumbing perspective but you don't need to know anything about plumbing. A bit basic arithmetic and common sense.

Re: Advice for apprenticeship plumbing interview

I have to sit a SNIPEF skills test any advise how I can prepare myself as its been awhile since I've left school.
i really want this job and I need any advise that I could say for my interview from any experienced plumbers?!

Page 1
Name
Question 1
write down the times in 24hr notation
Question 2
How long is the heating is on with the set programs on the timer.
Question 3
How much £ does some pipe and fittings add up to
Question 4
What should your wages be if you work X amount of overtime @ £xx/hr
Question 5
A bit πr2
Question 6
read a measuring tape
etc etc etc

Keep your head in your books and you should scrape through ok

Had interview and test yesterday. Everything went well and I excelled at the interview. I won't know until maybe next week or so fingers crossed. One of my references that I used got contacted for a reference yesterday. So does that sound promising? Out of 60 applicants only 8 got through so that's good.

certainly sounds promising you'll just have to wait and hope.

That's what I think too but I don't want to get my hopes up. If nothing comes from it I. Be starting college in 2 weeks in a pre apprentice to plumbing.

skills test is easy just basic maths and English, you'll also get questions like what are a plumbers day to day jobs? what tools does a plumber use? etc and the usual questions like why you should get the job etc.

you might get a practical test it will be cutting pipe to a certain size and connecting pipe with compression fittings.

I'm a 1st year apprentice with Edinburgh council :)

Good Luck!

Can you explain your stages how you became a successfulCandidate ?

I had to go and do a skills test etc then I got invited back for a proper interview with 4 managers asking me why I should get the job, what experience I had etc then the same day got a call back saying I was successful

I had the test and interview all in the same day then they asked for reference from my old boss the same day. What do you think?

you should hopefully here something next week. since you have a drivers license and some experience you should be a step ahead of most of the other applicants which is good. do you know how many apprentices they're taking on?

One plumbing apprenticeship was on offer. My application I had photos of plumbing that I did on my own eg my on bathroom from the start to finish by doing my own research so hopefully this will show how desperate I am fr this career change. Also I have acceptance offer from the college to do a first year in plumbing which is a pre apprentice course. If that doesn't show how serious I am I'd like to see what does.

i was the only guy wearing suit and tie and compared to the rest of the boys I felt over dressed but I really want this so I put in every effort.

what do you think?

Sounds like it may be the last time you wear that suit. Good luck. Decent job working for the council. Decent hours, pay and benefits like a pension.

Can you explain your stages how you became a successfulCandidate ?

Don't know how i ended up here but if anyone reads this my answer would have been
I looked in the paper, you were offering a job, i applied and here i am. I've never explained anything to anyone in my life and i'm not going to start now.
How much are you paying before we waste each others time here? :smile:
Always know your worth and interview the interviewer.
Turn the questions around and ask them why should i come work for you and what can your company offer that will enhance me.
But don't sit there like Spud out of trainspotting (this sounds so much better in German) Look up you tibe for the original :lol:
[video=youtube;RlymYI_Yls0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlymYI_Yls0[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice for my future would be welcoming! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock