Search the forum,

Discuss 31 year old wanting to become a gas engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adamcasper

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice. Over a year ago I quit my job of 10 years as an engineer to do a plumbing course which I completed last June and gained a level 2 city and guilds. To gain the NVQ level 2 and 3, I need an apprenticeship which is easier said than done due to being 31 years old. I have being calling as many gas safe registered plumbers/gas fitters as I can and will continue to do so but I am worried it will come to nothing. I am actually working with a self employed gas engineer but only for free and I don't think he'll ever be in a situation to take on an employee, also I can only learn so much from watching which I have to do because he can't really slow his work progress down for and any mistake I make reflects back on him. I've also got in contact with a private training company, I know they are usually not very well thought of especially as I was thinking of giving one a try a few years ago, had an interview with a recruiter from train for trade skills who seemed more obsessed with my bank details then he did my education, even after I explained I needed time to think about it he tried convincing me to give my details. That experience put me off the private training companies but I thought I'd give it one more go. This training company were quite different; the man they sent round seemed more interested in what I was aiming to do, pointed out that doing the theory/modules at home was no different than the classroom and the practical is done in eight block weeks and not only did he not ask for bank details, he actually told me he would have to contact me a few days later after his company have decided if I'm right or not for the course. On the negative side though, when I applied online for an interview with this company there was no confirmation email, the day before the interview was set up I was called from a mobile phone and the interviewer himself didn't leave a business card or any form of paperwork. My dilemma is do I just carry on looking for apprenticeships even though it's unlikely anyone would be willing to pay a larger wage to an older apprentice without government help/backing or do I go with the course? If I do the course, I will be working a part time job as well as working experience with the self employed plumber and hopefully over time would be allowed to do more hands on work which would hopefully look good on my CV. The course also includes the gas safe registration. If anyone could give advice or an opinion it would be greatly appreciated.

This training company were quite different; the man they sent round seemed more interested in what I was aiming to do, pointed out that doing the theory/modules at home was no different than the classroom and the practical is done in eight block weeks and not only did he not ask for bank details, he actually told me he would have to contact me a few days later after his company have decided if I'm right or not for the course.

Fairly basic sales psychology. Tell the customer they may not be good enough for your product and they'll fight tooth and nail to buy it...

Op if your working with a gas engineer, be it for free, then imo you're getting the best experience, why won't he let you do bits & bobs?

Look closer to home, speak to the guy you are learning from and do the apprenticeship with him. As long as he is willing to do few worksite visits you are good to go. If he doesnt do stuff for visits at all do them at your house or anywhere just bring him along. In your spare time study study study tons of books out there, this forum alone is an immense source of information. Your part time job should prefferably be construction related so you can come across plumbers/gas engineers and have chance to do some more gas/plumbing work.

Another approach is to use what you got (10 years experience as engineer) and apply to firms that also have a commercial/domestic gas branch. Just apply to a job you can get, work hard for a bit and worm your way into the gas side of the business.

Masood
That's what I thought when he did it and I do admit it did kind of work on me but then over the weekend I started to think on it more. Once I sign up that's it, I owe them money plus there's no guarantee of a proper plumbing/gas fitting education. He rang me up yesterday to say I'd been accepted, I asked if I could have time to think about it to which he replied the placements are rotating, there's no guarantee there will be a placement when you decide it's right for you. I told him that I'll just leave it for now and reconsider the possibility in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rocketmanbkk
I completely agree with you, unfortunately he can't really afford to take on an employee or an apprentice. I think he prefers working on his own, not that he doesn't want me around. He won't let me do anything when it comes to boilers or gas due to me not being qualified or registered nor does he have employee liability insurance. Also me doing anything would more than likely slow his work time down which would cost him money in the end. He is on about letting me do tap replacements on my own and other minor repair jobs.

Stanios
Well no offence meant to the guy I'm working with but he mixes his plumbing/gas engineer jobs with gardening so it's not always possible to know where I'll be day to day. He has been talking about doing site work for a while but nothing's happened there. At the end of the day I can't expect too much from him because he only agreed to take me on to show me what it's like being a plumber. As for the studying, I'm trying to cram as much of that in as I can, I bought all the textbooks we used at college and some we didn't (plumbers encyclopaedia, water regulations guide, etc) then I go through them all as well my old college notes, write down what I can't remember or don't know and turn them into my own revision questions. Might be a bit over the top but I want to know as much as possible about the subject. When I was an engineer, I finished my apprenticeship, I got put a bar store for two years then on a small surface grinder for the last four. I never really felt like I knew anything about engineering so I want to make sure I do with this. Good point on the construction related part time job, I hadn't even thought of that but to be fair I've been too busy worrying about how to get where I want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 31 year old wanting to become a gas engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock