Discuss 3 port valve change 4 to 5 wire. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
I need to change a 3 port valve tomorrow as the valve is screwed and leaking badly. It's a 4 wire potterton but I want to replace with a 5 wire honeywell. Can anyone help with the wiring? Where does the extra wire go????

What's the extra wire?

In the past I have only seen the extra wire as an earth, so just took that into the wiring centre...

And would the extra wire be GREEN AND YELLOW ?????????????

Sorry for shouting but if unsure pass the job on

Honeywell or drayton may do a 3 port valve comparison also so you can see see what changes to make

The so called 4 wire motorised valves only lack an earth (2 or 3 port) as they are electrically isolated from the valve body.

Seem to think two wires linked together but cant remember for sure call honewell tech they will tell you

Last edited:
Thought i had edited it before anyone saw it ha hayour too quick tamz
Must have just clicked in at the right time :smile:

It is a potterton mid pos valve. Same colours as any other mid position just no earth.
The valves that had a red were 6 wire valves like the danfoss heatshares.
Sunvics/sopacs had a red instead of an orange.

When changing a valve for a Honeywell, go to the honey valve interchangability table on page 18 and look at the potterton 4 wire at the bottom which will show you colour for colour.

Link

Thanks for the replies. I'm useless at wiring, normally ours spark would change the actuators but I'm changing it all today. Didn't realise the 4 wire version doesn't have an earth.

Be careful as some 4 wires are priority valves which although a Honeywell 4073a fits physically, it is not a compatable replacement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 port valve change 4 to 5 wire. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hay, I'm learning fault finding in CH systems which I'd need help with, please. I've been given a set example: have got hot water but heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the...
Replies
Views
Hi, i am replacing a 2 port z5 drayton valve with a 3 port mid position drayton. Can anyone please tell me what changes i have to make to the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Hi guys, I have a set up with rads upstairs and UFH downstairs. I have installed the manifold for the UFH along with 2x Honeywell 2port values...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock