Currently reading:
3 port valve change 4 to 5 wire.

Discuss 3 port valve change 4 to 5 wire. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Masey

Gas Engineer
I need to change a 3 port valve tomorrow as the valve is screwed and leaking badly. It's a 4 wire potterton but I want to replace with a 5 wire honeywell. Can anyone help with the wiring? Where does the extra wire go????

What's the extra wire?

In the past I have only seen the extra wire as an earth, so just took that into the wiring centre...

The so called 4 wire motorised valves only lack an earth (2 or 3 port) as they are electrically isolated from the valve body.

Seem to think two wires linked together but cant remember for sure call honewell tech they will tell you

Last edited:
Thought i had edited it before anyone saw it ha hayour too quick tamz
Must have just clicked in at the right time :smile:

It is a potterton mid pos valve. Same colours as any other mid position just no earth.
The valves that had a red were 6 wire valves like the danfoss heatshares.
Sunvics/sopacs had a red instead of an orange.

When changing a valve for a Honeywell, go to the honey valve interchangability table on page 18 and look at the potterton 4 wire at the bottom which will show you colour for colour.

Link

Thanks for the replies. I'm useless at wiring, normally ours spark would change the actuators but I'm changing it all today. Didn't realise the 4 wire version doesn't have an earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 port valve change 4 to 5 wire. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back