Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting and Fitting to cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smudger

I've got to fit a new upstairs toilet for a customer. The existing has a cast iron soil pipe. This need to be shortened by approx 200mm. Is it best to use a grinder, I'm concerned about the amount of dust this will cause. Also, will standard plastic fitting get a good seal? I haven't worked on cast iron yet and woul dreally appreciate any advise.:confused:

Hmm!

Does make some mess I must agree. You need to watch out for the sparks as well they can easily burn things. Preferably a larger size grinder is probably best, one that can cut right through the pipe without having to move your position. And don't forget to keep your balance the thin cutting blades can sometimes shatter if you move to much. You also of course require goggles and gloves and so on.

Other than that its easy enough to do.

There are numerous Mc Alpine Multikwik's that would suite and make a good seal.

A good trick is to take an old magnet with you for getting all the small iron filings up, if you can't sweep or Hoover them up.

Good Fortune

Great tip about the magnet, luckily there's no carpet and I will be tiling before fitting new toilet. Thanks for the tip bernie, grinder it is.

Hi! Smudger,

The magnets off the back of old moving coil speakers are great for the job. Otherwise if you miss any filings, after a while they rust and you get all red stains all over the place.

Problem is, half the time you can't see the filings so you don't know whether you have picked them up or not and Hoovering them up could wreck the Hoover if they go through the filter.

Err! I know it can happen, by having been soft enough to do it and err! many times.

But hey! Isn't it by having made mistakes we sometimes learn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right, but if I can learn from your mistakes, lol :D. Have to take the wife's hoover and not my nice wet n' dry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cutting and Fitting to cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock