Search the forum,

Discuss Worn rubber seal on 110mm soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Welly

Hi.
I am hoping someone can give me some good advice.
I am renovating my house and the branch on my soil pipe (Hunter upvc 40 yrs old) is built into a dormer stud wall so cannot be removed.
The small piece of soil pipe from the old toilet came out reasonably easily but the rubber seal (which is approx 10mm wide of flatish ridged rubber - rather than the modern single flap style) is quite flat such that the new bend\branch is a fairly loose fit and will inevitably leak.
I have phoned Hunter Plastics and they have advised that they do not do replacement seals given the age of my pipes.
Obviously cannot use Plumbers Mait so have any one out there encountered this problem and how was it resolved?
I need to ensure a watertight fit as the branch connection is in the timber floor so a future leak when the wc is in place and flooring finished would be a nightmare!
Thank you.

Remove the rubber seal and use the PVC glue that is used for solvent weld fittings.

Last edited:
Thanks - will try but think there may be too much play between the new bend and the existing branch such that the solvent weld won't work but will try.

Plumbers best friend , Master Dow Corning in black,

Gap filling cement, silicon around edge of joint, then wrap with a wax tape (denso) pushing the tape tight around the joint
As long as your pipe isn't moving about when you make the joint,it will be fine
Or, if you can remove the plastic collar that holds the rubber seal in place, you may be able to replace it by matching it with another hunter seal

Cleanliness is essential for solvent weld. Remove plastic retaining ring of rubber seal. Thoroughly clean inside collar with plastic pan scourer or similar. Cut 150mm length of pipe to join to collar, ensure adequate bevel on outer end to ease fitting of future coupling. In absence of solvent weld primer, wipe inside collar and joining surface of pipe with acetone dampened cloth. Coat inside collar and joining surface pipe with appropriate gap filling solvent cement and assemble with slight rotation. Remove excess build up of cement inside joint. Do not be tempted to glue in long length of pipe as this would increase leverage on joint.

Cleanliness is essential for solvent weld. Remove plastic retaining ring of rubber seal. Thoroughly clean inside collar with plastic pan scourer or similar. Cut 150mm length of pipe to join to collar, ensure adequate bevel on outer end to ease fitting of future coupling. In absence of solvent weld primer, wipe inside collar and joining surface of pipe with acetone dampened cloth. Coat inside collar and joining surface pipe with appropriate gap filling solvent cement and assemble with slight rotation. Remove excess build up of cement inside joint. Do not be tempted to glue in long length of pipe as this would increase leverage on joint.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

Does anyone know if the retaining clip holding the seal is likely to be glued or clipped bearing in mind this is 40 yrs old. It seems to be glued but it could well be that I am not being firm enough with it. Before following the good advice I have been given I may be able to get hold of some "modern" Hunter seals and whilst they possibly won't work I am hoping to try that first before the more "permanent" fix of solvent filling\welding so am trying to keep the retaining clip in one piece - sods law being that it could be brittle and break anyway.

Thanks again!

Could normally prize of retaining ring with 2 pence piece, failing that a short stubby scraper should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worn rubber seal on 110mm soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock