Search the forum,

Discuss Workmanship Ppipework for Shower Valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

A joint (or two) too far!

Ridiculous piece of plumbing for a concealed shower valve or am I being too fussy?

The studs had to remain in original position (approx. 175mm between them) to avoid disturbing the wall the other side and one had to be notched to accommodate the pipework and the valve had to be mounted in the horizontal orientation to avoid notching both studs. Fortunately, the studs were 100mm deep so notching one of them was not an issue. The original hot feed rose vertically just inside the left stud so shouldn’t have needed the ‘dog leg’ 90 degree joints (1 & 2). Straight joints above (3 & 4) also unnecessary as is that (5) on the cold feed. Both feeds rose vertically to the old shower valve position so virtually no extra pipe needed.

So the ‘plumber’ cut off too much original pipe for some reason and then ended up using far too many joints to extend the pipes (particularly the hot) back up to required position and introduced an unnecessary dog leg.

Bear in mind these are all hidden pipe joints and each joint is of course 2 potential weak points in this ‘mains’ pressure system irrespective of the cost of these press fit type joints (not sure of the exact make). So, by my estimation, at least 5 joints too many out of a total of 7! (ignoring the soldered joints). I can understand fitting concealed shower valves is tricky at the best of times but this does not seem to be what I would call good quality plumbing.

What do others think? Shower Valve Concealed Pipework.png

Without being there before and seeing what was there it's difficult to say exactly what the minimum would have been.
Pipework may have been corroded or kinked or some other reason for it being done as is.
Have you asked the person who did the pipework why?

Reply to Workmanship Ppipework for Shower Valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We had a plumber come to fit our concealed shower. He plumbed it in, then we fit the plasterboard and tiles. However he soon realised that he had set the shower valve body too far back into the wall so that he physically could not fit the valve handles onto the spindles because they do not...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe which serves the sink & shower in the loft when doing some work in the toilet underneath on the ceiling i have cut away the plasterboard to reveal...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock