Discuss Working For Family Members!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
6 months ago, my sister-in-law asked me to quote for replacing a bath at flat she was renting in Peckam so, I sent her a quote for £450 (bath, bath taps, side panel). Never heard from her till she asked me to go and quote for replacing open vent boiler with combi boiler. I went there and noticed bath had been changed. I quoted for Logic+ Combi, 24kw, £1,700 all in (boiler TF1 filter, magnetic scale reducer, etc). She phoned me a weel later to say she has given job to someone who quoted £1,500 for same boiler.

Well, for the past week she has been giving me stress saying there is leak at flat when tenants have shower. Can I go and sort it out please? I told her to get the bath fitter to go and sort it out. Her response: ''Estate agents got someone to replace it''. Get them to sort it out then, I says. ''I do not use them anymore'' was her reply. So I went there today and bath not properly sealed? Tiles short of bath, so a plastic strip placed to assist but it seems that hasn't worked. And guess what, the boiler fitted there is an Ideal Independent 24kw. No filter and no limescale reducer? Madness.

I have worked for family but not been shafted as much as you appear to have been. But have been shafted

Some family members think you can do things always free. That's fair enough if they did freebies also for you.
I have people in my family who I worked for and did favours, but they no longer speak to me when I was unable to jump to a job they demanded.

Some family members think you can do things always free. That's fair enough if they did freebies also for you.
I have people in my family who I worked for and did favours, but they no longer speak to me when I was unable to jump to a job they demanded.

You couldn't put it better. What I find strange about this whole issue is this: For the past THREE years, she has been provided with a CP12 and no invoice generated. Gas hob bfitted and no invoice generated. Toilet fill valve replaced, no invoice generated. So at this point in time, she easily owes me at least £300 minimum. Then she comes back from Japan 3weeks ago and says she has a present for me. I went there and she handed it over, so I started trying to open up the box. ''No, don't open it here. Wait till you get home, then open it''. Got home to find out that it's one of these freebies that you get given on the plane??? Talk of taking the peezz.

Families are like a box of chocolates.....you never know what your gonna get......till they ask you to do some work for them...lol regards Turnpin:rofl:

My sister "who I love" was always asking me to do little jobs, Fit a new sink it should only take you 10mins, Service boiler "Its for your nephews safety" The last one was to replace the downstairs cloakroom and it shouldn't take to long as she was keeping the wc and basin in the same place. Told her I would do it if she cleaned my house and did my washing and ironing for a full week. To my surprise she did. House has never been cleaner and didn't realise how many clothes I owned until I seen them all ironed and hanging in the wardrobe. It only lasted 3 days and it was my missis who put a stop to it, "showed up I think" and all my clothes are back to being in a big pile bottom of wardrobe needing ironed but did love the 3 days I got.
For something I asked for tong & cheek my sister was happy to help. It could be worth asking family members for favors in return and if they no you now also have that option.

Just shows how much the wife cared innitt? I think she put a stop to it as the tidiness showed her 'downside' so she wasn't having any of it. Besides she was more worried that your sister will tell other family members that your wife isn't taking good care of you. So obviously she had to put a stop to it b4 word got out.

Just shows how much the wife cared innitt? I think she put a stop to it as the tidiness showed her 'downside' so she wasn't having any of it. Besides she was more worried that your sister will tell other family members that your wife isn't taking good care of you. So obviously she had to put a stop to it b4 word got out.

Word got out alright "by me" carried it on for a few months telling both our family's how hard done by I am and have been for 25yrs.
She works full time as a teacher and puts a lot more hours in than I do, So sympathy I got was little to none.

Word got out alright "by me"
She works full time as a teacher and puts a lot more hours in than I do, So sympathy I got was little to none.

Funny you should say that. This morning around 2am I woke up to the wife complaining that I left my plate upstairs? So I "kicked off", telling her to go downstairs and take a good look at the state of the gas hob and the state of kitchen sink & contents? She said she doesn't intend to work full time then get home and do everything at home? After a while, I just let her Ramble on while I tried to go back to sleep unsuccessfully. She is a teacher as well and puts in more time than I do. Infact, thanks to her nagging last night, I've decided to take today off. Might work to my favour. I need some copper pipes off Ray.

Funny you should say that. This morning around 2am I woke up to the wife complaining that I left my plate upstairs? So I "kicked off", telling her to go downstairs and take a good look at the state of the gas hob and the state of kitchen sink & contents? She said she doesn't intend to work full time then get home and do everything at home? After a while, I just let her Ramble on while I tried to go back to sleep unsuccessfully. She is a teacher as well and puts in more time than I do. Infact, thanks to her nagging last night, I've decided to take today off. Might work to my favour. I need some copper pipes off Ray.

Should give you chance to clean that kitchen. lol

Should give you chance to clean that kitchen. lol

Not a chance in HELL. I do cook as I enjoy cooking. When I cook, the only "dirty" dish you're going to find in the kitchen is the plate I've decided to rest the cooking spoon on. Everything else will be spotlessly clean. I clean as I cook. Every item or cutlery or plate/dish used is immediately washer. Worktop is left spotless. She walks in the kitchen and within 5mins, it's as if a bomb went off? There are times I just can't bring myself to go into the kitchen because of the state she has left it in. Once the MI visited, and asked her why the kitchen was a mess? She told her to ask me as I must've left it that way. When the MI told me, I blew a fuse.

I've done some for family members and don't charge a penny, reason is they have and will help whenever I need it. Other family members I would charge more as they only want something for nothing.

My girlfriends great aunt wanted me to price for a full central heating system but my girlfriends mum said I was too busy as she was getting her son in laws relative to do it and she wanted to double check the price and also the installer wanted to know what I charged!!!!!!!!

I did chuckle when I heard it took 3 blokes 2 weeks and they apparently destroyed the house. I thought I was slow!

6 months ago, my sister-in-law asked me to quote for replacing a bath at flat she was renting in Peckam so, I sent her a quote for £450 (bath, bath taps, side panel). Never heard from her till she asked me to go and quote for replacing open vent boiler with combi boiler. I went there and noticed bath had been changed. I quoted for Logic+ Combi, 24kw, £1,700 all in (boiler TF1 filter, magnetic scale reducer, etc). She phoned me a weel later to say she has given job to someone who quoted £1,500 for same boiler.

Well, for the past week she has been giving me stress saying there is leak at flat when tenants have shower. Can I go and sort it out please? I told her to get the bath fitter to go and sort it out. Her response: ''Estate agents got someone to replace it''. Get them to sort it out then, I says. ''I do not use them anymore'' was her reply. So I went there today and bath not properly sealed? Tiles short of bath, so a plastic strip placed to assist but it seems that hasn't worked. And guess what, the boiler fitted there is an Ideal Independent 24kw. No filter and no limescale reducer?
Love it.. sounds like Madness.. and bet there's plenty plenty plenty more where that news comes the lolz. I've seen things already and seems like " my god". What people really actually do. Just to save a few pencils Is unbelievable. And m being new ( and on probation) just scares the living farts out of me.. lolz. In the meantime I'm having a a good read.. say hope the family get you backed on trac and hand over all the work to you mate

Did a bathroom for brother in law recently ... I don't talk to him anymore ...

I will never work for family or friends again because it is more aggro than it's worth.

Totally agree. Mum and Bro can have what they like. anyone else it's business as usual

Sometimes its the offer of payment you want not the actual money in your pocket, makes you feel like they appreciate your time and effort.

Aint it strange that the family and friends you have that dont have much money ask for less and offer more!!

Problem, after work done, people queue up to say it could have been done cheaper, and this can sour relationships. Solution, tell people to get quotes from others, and you'll compare and advise. That way you can decline without causing offence, and you also get feedback of what the competition is charging.

Go compare.. go compare.. I know a sonnng.. "GO COMPARE "..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working For Family Members!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock