Discuss What vans have you got? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PatchettPlumbing

As above really, I am just starting out on my own.

I am about to venture into my own, but been looking at various vans.

Just wondering what you all drive, how do you find it for space and fuel? Astravans tempt me but curious to see if too small.

i've got a peugeot partner which could do with being bigger really lol. i think you will find an astra too small really

The bigger the better for me as mines is a complete mobile workshop with supplies, kit and even an onboard table saw and I still have room for bathroom suites.

I have a long wheel base medium roof transit and it's a great van.

lwb high top transit filled to the limit it depends what work you do if you only do boiler services a car would do if you do commercial boilers youll probably need a truck

every van you get will have one thing common. it'll be bigger than the last one!

or so i'm told. i'm on my first. a fiat scudo. i wanted one just from looking at them driving around - almost didn't care what they were like. perfect size for me, two side doors, nose like concorde. it's the slowest thing in the universe but i don't care. i love it.

Agree with you watertight, needed a new van because my kangoo was getting to small bought vw transporter and no it looks as if I have sweet fa in it

Bigger the van the more carp you carry.

I've bought a new van this year because my previous 2 vauxhall combos died, useless piece of scrap metal.

My new one is a Nissan NV200, bluetooth, reversing camera, Ipod attachement thingy, twin side doors loads of space in the front, all racked out now, easily fits everything I had in my combo and still room for more stuff.

I refuse to buy more rubbish though to fill it up and then back to square one not being able to find anything.

I've got a Vauxhall Combo, it's OK most of the time, but occasionally struggle to fit everything in if it's a biggish job.

I've got a renualt traffic, had it from new, its 5 years old and it's done 102k now,

Touch wood, it's been very good, and will have another.

SWB med high to transit, manages most stuff, though is a bit on the tight side if i have a 'big job' on though.

i have a caddy sdi new shape with a proper roof rack . anything to big to fit i would get delivered to the job. great van

Wow, thanks for all the replies all.

I have been looking at all sorts, the reason behind the Astra was that anything too big can be delivered to the job (for instance if I am doing central heating) but most stuff I could carry in a small van. Saw a Ford Transit 280 SWB 08 plate with 62k on, but can't help think they are too big.

What are they like on fuel?

new_transit.JPG

I nicked this image off the tilers forum of the new Transit custom, I love it.

Got a Vivaro 09 plate. Its ok but like everyone else its packed full of "that'll come in handy" junk. Im tempted to trade it in for a transit but I might stick with it for another year. Only problem Ive had was with the roof which has developed a strange split.. but apart from that its a good runner.

got a transit swb but selling it, its a good van alot of space in the back, i do installs so it was handy for me

I've got the ultimate vehicle, a Land Rover 110. It's a bit tight for space but gets me places other people can't get to. Space is a bit tight but as long as you're organised it's okay. When fund permit I want a Land Rover 130 with a workshop back. That would give me the ability to get where I need to with the space I want.

New 2012 transit trend. And I love it. :). Awesome van. had a connect before I got the transit trend.

I've got the ultimate vehicle, a Land Rover 110. It's a bit tight for space but gets me places other people can't get to. Space is a bit tight but as long as you're organised it's okay. When fund permit I want a Land Rover 130 with a workshop back. That would give me the ability to get where I need to with the space I want.

Mike, what kind of terrain are you contending with from job to job where only a Land Rover will do?

vaxuall astra 1.3cdti estate with a 8x4 rack 3m tube 4m tripple ladder and 4m double cat ladder normal day to day work all 5 seats usable! get everything deliverd i also get the customer to pay for materials direct since i have got this, yes i dont make a mark up but they pay direct for the gear so if i get a stuck up customer who wants her 21 days i havnt got a outlay to worry about!! love the astra just got rid of my van best thing i did allready saved about £50 this week on fule

vaxuall astra 1.3cdti estate with a 8x4 rack 3m tube 4m tripple ladder and 4m double cat ladder normal day to day work all 5 seats usable! get everything deliverd i also get the customer to pay for materials direct since i have got this, yes i dont make a mark up but they pay direct for the gear so if i get a stuck up customer who wants her 21 days i havnt got a outlay to worry about!! love the astra just got rid of my van best thing i did allready saved about £50 this week on fule

as long as you are happy

I want one of those new transits! looks really nice, just hope they don't shrink to the same size as a transporter, or is this custom model just to compete with the VW and sportive etc?

I've got a MWB semi high transit by the way, perfect for me, lots of space. Personally wouldn't have anything less than a a SWB transit/transporter/vivaro size van unless service engineer etc

it fits my rolling tool box my tool tote bag my 6 stanley organiser cases full of fittings all my powertools in cases and a euro container that is packed full!! the box i call GOD! full of all the bits of tat you never buy but need on a sunday at 8.pm!!

I want one of those new transits! looks really nice, just hope they don't shrink to the same size as a transporter, or is this custom model just to compete with the VW and sportive etc?

I've got a MWB semi high transit by the way, perfect for me, lots of space. Personally wouldn't have anything less than a a SWB transit/transporter/vivaro size van unless service engineer etc

And now you can store full lengths of copper in the van.

Ford-Transit-2012-image-2-620x465.jpg

You can anyway in a semi high transit, it fits over your head :p

Looks like a very well thought out design though, it has integrated roof bars that fold out when you need them, so when you aren't carrying ladder etc they fold out the way, saving fuel and reducing noise! good idea!

Obviously trying to tap into the transporter/vivaro market which includes day vans/ surf vans etc I reckon. The price will have to be good though, vivaros are already cheaper than transits new so if this has a premium tag it's going to be knocking on the door of VW, which has a bit of a cult following.

I want someone to invent a van that is as big as the new Transit but also small enough to drive into a customers house, up the stairs and park outside the bathroom door on the landing.

Just done a job on the top floor of a 4 storey town house and I had to park about 5 miles away, spent all morning lugging gear around.

not overly impressed with our second van a 04 transit just failed its mot for holes in the cross member and the sill under the SLD has rotted not acceptable for a van with 80k and only 8 year old time to bin it i think

Mine is lwb med roof transit 53 plate.....had it for 4 years and love it. Only get 350 to the tank though and is slow off the blocks but does the job superbly.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Be careful of the Trafic's. Just got rid and I mean got rid of my 06 24 DCI, 85,000 miles. In the last year, clutch, gearbox, turbo, power steering pump.
Spent 5 grand in the last year and just sold it for 5 grand ! I think these vans are great up to 3 maybe 4 years and then I'd avoid them like the plague. I had it from new, didn't overload it and never raced it around.

Mike, what kind of terrain are you contending with from job to job where only a Land Rover will do?

I'm doing a fair bit of LPG stuff which is seeing me in some very out of the way places. Last one was down a farm track and across two fields to gas up a Shepherds hut. 3 people prior to me had declined the work because it was too far to walk with the tools.

I'm doing a fair bit of LPG stuff which is seeing me in some very out of the way places. Last one was down a farm track and across two fields to gas up a Shepherds hut. 3 people prior to me had declined the work because it was too far to walk with the tools.
this one, for the urban jungle.
IMG_0225.jpg

mike, got any pics of yours for storage ideas?. ta.

I had a 29L9 for 4 years. Good van. Bit basic if you like the home comforts but it is a work van not a car. Loads of space, big payload, great engine, never missed a beat, plenty of torque but, expensive to repair. Brake cylinders are a pita (might have changed them now). I liked it.

For a cheap van i bought one of these last year as a back up and it has been perfect.
2008 LDV MAXUS 3.5/135 TOP OF THE RANGE/SILVER/ALLOYS/ NO RESERVE AUCTION. | eBay
Another big van but quite basic. Because they are out the game puts many off. I actually like driving it better than the Vivaro or the Tranny. You quickly get used to the dials in the middle and if you like swapping stations on the radio it is a pita. I have a full set of the factory service and repair stuff if it was needed.
Paid 2 8 for a 57 plate ex rental last year. Never cost me a penny since. Only thing wrong is the odo clocks up the miles at about twice the rate but that doesn't matter as i'll run it into the ground.

Got a Transporter, 2 Vivaros and a MWB semi hi top Transit. The first three are great all rounders and the Tranny for bigger job, it's racked out so all the pipe is overhead, carries soil pipe, 5 lengths of each waste pipe and 6 bundles of copper, easily.

Got a Transporter, 2 Vivaros and a MWB semi hi top Transit. The first three are great all rounders and the Tranny for bigger job, it's racked out so all the pipe is overhead, carries soil pipe, 5 lengths of each waste pipe and 6 bundles of copper, easily.

where do you park it ???lol :)

LWB vivaro for me.
Excellent van, will look at the sportive next for a few more creature comforts

I wanted to say horse and cart, cowboy reference.
I have a Fiat Dobló 1.9JTD not the biggest of vans, but for size you can get loads in, MPG is good and can motor. Also have a tow-bar fitted, comes in very useful at times. On a standard licence, one without +E you can tow upto 1100kg with the Dobló (I hire a trailer if I need one).

Transit for me ..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332406547.870826.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332406547.870826.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
bought a brand new mercedes vito ,heavy on fuel and also burns engine oil ,mecedes saying that is standard .Avoid at all cost ,you are paying for the name

bought a brand new mercedes vito ,heavy on fuel and also burns engine oil ,mecedes saying that is standard .Avoid at all cost ,you are paying for the name

Rubbish. You're paying for quality. VW and Merc are best vans on the road. Never had any oil or other issues with mine. Never missed a beat.

Take it back under warranty,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What vans have you got? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock