Search the forum,

Discuss Water softener how does this work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

O

Old Account

hi guys I’ve fitted enough water softeners but somehow I cannot get my head around this installation.

How does the water pass through the salt to get softened for the properties?

I can see it has a cold water inlet and outlet as usual but don’t seem to understand how it can be softened.
They did not even install a bypass in case something goes wrong. Somehow the salt doesn’t seem to go down according to the owner.

An explanation would be much appreciated.

Attached pictures!

2CAA63D7-B9D2-4F8B-BF06-781C0E20684F.jpeg

0DD96568-FB0F-49A2-9CFB-ADEF65E942E5.jpeg

B5AAFB94-11F8-40A5-B70A-498282278047.jpeg

Bypass is the big lever valve between the draw offs

Supposed to be full of liquid not dry

IMG_4027.JPG

Last edited:
Bypass is the big lever valve between the draw offs

Supposed to be full of liquid not dry

View attachment 36007
Thanks for that.
The salt is dry no water in there. At the very bottom is something but not too much. An error code is always coming up E1 ... however, it basically sucks the brine into the duplex water softener ? Perhaps they are not working no more and need changing.

Best to get the system serviced and water out checked

One for the softener guys

Didn't you show me the same pic like 2-3 years ago ? With the same fault

That is a twin tank so water into system should never be hard.

Basically the resin is use (ion-exchange) to chemicals strip the Calcium from the hard water making it soft, after a time the resin can't hold any more & needs to be cleaned, this is where the salt come in the but first your controller switches over from the tank it has been using to the fresh clean other one. The dirty one then goes through a series of fill & flushing one of which will involve drawing up brine from the bottom of the salt bin this is passed through the resin the Sodium strips way the Calcium leaving it clean & ready for the next operation.
The last operation for the controller is to put water back into the salt bin to make more brine ready for the next go.
Hope that helps.

PS, in single tank units if water is drawn when the tank is regenerating then it will be hard, which is why the basic ones have a timer that is set to 2am when the likelihood of water being required is low.

Best to get the system serviced and water out checked

One for the softener guys

Didn't you show me the same pic like 2-3 years ago ? With the same fault
Nah, that’s a different I stallation that’s a new job where I had to change 28 toilets in a convent. The company doesn’t exist anymore and it was build by them. So it’s a little difficult. I could get it started again due to resetting and regeneration.

That is a twin tank so water into system should never be hard.

Basically the resin is use (ion-exchange) to chemicals strip the Calcium from the hard water making it soft, after a time the resin can't hold any more & needs to be cleaned, this is where the salt come in the but first your controller switches over from the tank it has been using to the fresh clean other one. The dirty one then goes through a series of fill & flushing one of which will involve drawing up brine from the bottom of the salt bin this is passed through the resin the Sodium strips way the Calcium leaving it clean & ready for the next operation.
The last operation for the controller is to put water back into the salt bin to make more brine ready for the next go.
Hope that helps.

PS, in single tank units if water is drawn when the tank is regenerating then it will be hard, which is why the basic ones have a timer that is set to 2am when the likelihood of water being required is low.
Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. I was just wondering how it works as I can’t dem to see any water ( brine) inside the plastic container. There is little water at the bottom of say about 10cm ish. I regenerated the softeners today but I guess it seems that they do not work as they should. I can’t see how water should go into the container to disolve the salt? There is only one blue 10mm pushfit pipe which is connected like in the picture which Shaun he’s attached. But where is the water coming in to fill the brine? Should it come from the duplex softeners?

As far ans I can remember from today I think the container with the salt hasn’t got the float valve no more it has a long plastic tube going down to the brine float filter screen.

Reply to Water softener how does this work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock