Search the forum,

Discuss Water filter tap from Mains or from kitchen Tap supply? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it better to go directly from the mains for a water filter tap or from the cold water running into kitchen tap. Is it cleaner from the mains line and ready to drink quicker?

The water line runs from the main to the tank upstairs and back again for the rest of the house. Also splitting from the mains is the outside tap connection.

It should only come from the mains , it must not come from a tank

It goes up where the tank is located to one of those cold water combination valves then to the rest of the house.

Tank or cylinder? Sounds like you mean you have an unvented cylinder and the cold to the taps is T'd after the pressure has been reduced after the combination valve for equal pressures between hot & cold.

If this is the case, it can still be T'd into the cold pipe going to your tap as it will be mains water. Just reduced.

---

However, if you do mean tank, the cold water comes into house, feeds 1 or 2 outlets (tap & outside taps or boiler) and then goes up to a cold water storage tank and then comes back down and feeds the rest of the taps (indirect cold water). Then you cannot T into it if it comes from the cold water storage tank.

Sorry I seem to call it a tank force of habit, but yeah you are right, Ant I meant to say an unvented cyclinder. Would it be better off the mains it terms of cool water ready to drink, rather waiting for the cool water to run.

The water coming back down from by the cylinder is still cold mains, it's just been reduced through a reducing valve.

A combination valve has a filter, check valve, reducing valve and pressure relief.

As this is the case, I'd install the tap and connect to cold water however easier. What's closer. Whether that be cold mains going up to the cylinder, or the reduced that comes back down.

When we sure to have a filter tap we used to have to run it a minute anyway to let it get colder.

Cheers Ant great help. Connection wise both are similiar in terms of ease. The reason I was asking is my thought process was that, the water coming back down is subject to higher temperature sitting in the pipe by the cylinder upstairs and possibly take longer for the cold water to bleed through.

@spintop, I'd imagine it only to be marginal though? I tend to find our mains cold can differ in temp too depending on the day, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water filter tap from Mains or from kitchen Tap supply? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock