Search the forum,

Discuss water coming out of overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dinkyyy

hi. Water has been coming out of my overflow pipe for months. This happens when I've not run the hot water for 4 or 5 hours. I had my ball valve replaced but water was still coming out. I was told by the plumber that it's a hole in the coil in the hot water tank and the copper tank needs replacing. But I also read that it could be caused by the mixer tap in my bathroom sink (hot and cold coming from one tap) this has been dripping for 6 month. what is the likely cause and if the copper hot water tank needs replacing. What's the usual price of having the work done in doncaster. (tank is about 42 inches tall and 18inch across

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn off the water isolating valves to the basin mixer and see what happens?

I've actually stopped the dripping by tying some string over the tap. If it stops water dripping out of the overflow does that mean the tap is the cause? images of tap and pipes underneath

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

I've actually stopped the dripping by tying some string over the tap. If it stops water dripping out of the overflow does that mean the tap is the cause? images of tap and pipes underneath

]

It could still be doing it inside the tap as all you have done is stop a drip, re the iso valves, trace the pipes back as far as you can.

I've had a look all round and I don't think is any isolation valves. Unless it's within the tap casing itself

If fitted correct there should be a non return valve under the tap , but not always the case ,
It really depends on the hieght of your heating FnE tank or is your heating pressurised in which case youd constantly be topping up if it was the coil ,
If your FnE tank base is the same hieght as the cold tank then it wont be the coil as the overflow connection is higher than the highest water level in the little tank,
Do you have any mixer showers ?

No I don't have any mixer showers, I'm not clued up on the terms and names so don't know what a FnE tank is, since tying the tap to stop it drippin. The dripping has stopped from the overflow (ran the hot tap till it started filling up the tank 7 hours ago and it usually starto dripping after 5 hours. So it seems that's fixed it. Does that confirm it's not the coil in the tank? I certainly don't want to spend 500 quid when changing the tap fitting (for about Ā£100?) will resolve the problem

Someone will really need to see this one. It certainly points to the tap but if you're not confident to change it you will need a professional anyway. How old is the hot water cylinder??

Yeh its defo your tap and an easy fix , the hardest bit is ordering the proper insert cartridge for your mixer tap, but its a cheap fix so you wont need a tank lol,

Its something like this u need
upload_2017-4-9_22-49-9.jpeg

ah. That's great. A big relief I couldn't afford 4 or 5 hundred quid. I'm curious. Hiw can a dripping tap cause the water to gradually rise in the tank and overflow

Depending on what's gone wrong inside the tap you could have a situation where the cartridge is passing water out of the spout and also passing some mains pressure cold water back up the tank fed hot water supply and into the cylinder then back up into the loft tank. Basically the mains pressure pushes the tank fed hot water back up into the loft tank, filling it up and making it overflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water coming out of overflow pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock