Discuss Waste hose problem for washing machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone I am needing some advice around a new washing machine. The waste hose as shown is wider than the previous one. I have attempted to remove the attachment where the previous hose went to replace with a larger attachment from screwfix but it seems to be impossible to remove. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can solve this problem?

20180927_204010.jpg

20180927_204019.jpg

20180927_204025.jpg

a bit of washing up liquid and some gloves it should go on but the more important thing is the waste outlet is untrapped and this needs sorting eg to install a washing machine stand pipe and trap

Sorry please can you confirm what you mean by untrapped and why it's a problem? I think this is where the waste pipe has always gone for 15 years from what I have been told from previous owner.

waste gases can come back into the property

Apologies for all the questions, would this mean that a standpipe could be easily fitted where the current lower white segment is screwed in. Would this just unscrew and a stand pipe be screwed in the same place?

Apologies for all the questions, would this mean that a standpipe could be easily fitted where the current lower white segment is screwed in. Would this just unscrew and a stand pipe be screwed in the same place?
Normally the outlet from the washing machine hooks over a vertical pipe with a trap at the bottom, the outlet from the trap is the connected to a soil pipe or drain outlet. The trap stops the gases from the soil pipe getting into the house. In your case if the washing machine hose outlet is a tight fit onto the existing pipe ( which it obviously is) then the gases will not get in and this is why it worked ok before.Hose clips can be used to hold it on if it is likely to slip off

Normally the outlet from the washing machine hooks over a vertical pipe with a trap at the bottom, the outlet from the trap is the connected to a soil pipe or drain outlet. The trap stops the gases from the soil pipe getting into the house. In your case if the washing machine hose outlet is a tight fit onto the existing pipe ( which it obviously is) then the gases will not get in and this is why it worked ok before.Hose clips can be used to hold it on if it is likely to slip off

Hello Vicdiy,

As Member Shaun stated the Washing Machine waste must have a trapped Stand pipe installed for the machine hose to be put into - connecting to the existing piece of pipe is NOT acceptable -irrespective of how many years that it had previously been like that.

You started your message with the correct details about a trapped stand pipe being a correct method for waste water drainage from a Washing Machine - but unfortunately after those details you are advising the OP incorrectly about Drain gases not being able to get in if they use Jubilee / Hose clips on the Washing Machine hose to secure it to the existing pipe.

The gases will then be able to enter the Washing Machine - totally unacceptable !

There was an incorrect assumption by some Plumbers / Kitchen fitters etc. some years ago that water laying at the bottom of a Washing Machine waste water hose after the machine had pumped out formed a `Trap` so there was no need to provide a Stand pipe.

As I wrote this was incorrect and Washing Machines that were connected like that / like the previous machine in this case have had `drain gases` entering the appliance.

Hello Chrisp1986,

You may get some more replies advising you how to connect a trapped Stand pipe for your Washing Machine`s waste hose to be put into - because of the other Waste pipes it should be connected to the Soil pipe [large pipe].

Others may disagree but I would not install a Washing Machine Stand pipe to a vertical waste pipe where there was a chance that 2 other Waste pipes would be discharging at the same time as a Washing Machine.

However unless you are `good at DIY` and because there are 2 Waste pipes already connected to the Soil pipe `strap on` bossed connection - plus the overflow boss connection which will have to be at least capped off or removed - I would advise getting a Plumber to install the trapped Stand pipe etc.

Chris.

2 options as I see it.
1 is, as Chris X say, the proper route: new saddle boss onto the 110mm pipe and install a new washing machine/appliance trap. Probably an hour's work for a plumber.
2 is something I would not bother with as 1 is so easy to do and not really any more work: tee off from that vertical branch, add an appliance trap, and hope you don't have resultant issues.
If you're really skint, try warming the rubber in hot or near boiling water and force that hose over the plastic bit. But it is wrong, for reasons others have stated.

Reply to Waste hose problem for washing machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock