Discuss wall mounted tap leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I recently got a wall mounted tap fitted above my bath and when I went to turn it on, it started to leak between the tap facia and tiles. I removed
the tap and found that one of the O'Ring on the mixer body male part was split. I thought this is easy I will just replace the O'ring, then I realised that the small grub screw below the tap spout which is used to tighten the plate to the mixer body has probably damaged the O'ring, suggesting the plumber has not left enough thread to allow the spout to fit. The plumber has left 22mm from the tile face. Im now not sure if that is enough to get a proper seal. I have been trying to get a hold of the plumber over the last few days, but no answer. I was thinking about not using the grub screw and fixing the tap to the body using silicon, is there anyway I could reduce the chances of leaking by using teflon tape over the O'Rings etc.......

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 27
I can’t see/measure inside the spout but would it be possible to move the o-ring back to the second groove and allow the grub screw to go into the outer groove if that is where it lines up?

Could you drill and tap a new hole for the grub screw, further back towards the wall?
It won’t be seen, I think that’s what I would do in your situation.

What thread?
I mean the male part of the concealing plate (Bit with the O'Rings), the way it works is that the Spout (Tap Body) gets fitted to the male part and then is fixed in place by a small grub screw under the spout, unfortunately it looks like the small grub screw is piercing through the orange nearest the tiles, suggesting there is not enough length on male part of the body, it looks like only he tip of the male part and first ring is fitting inside the spout properly. Apologies for my technical terms..:):)

Could you drill and tap a new hole for the grub screw, further back towards the wall?
It won’t be seen, I think that’s what I would do in your situation.
I could do that thanks, Im more concerned about there not being a good enough seal due to the plumber not leaving enough of the male part from the tiles. Do you have any idea how I would get around this? Thanks

You really need to know the dimension that should of been left for a watertight seal what brand of tap is it? Installation instructions should be available online then go from there. Kop

You really need to know the dimension that should of been left for a watertight seal what brand of tap is it? Installation instructions should be available online then go from there. Kop
its a Bristan Tap, the comment in instructions states. it is important sufficient thread if left exposed to allow the spout to connect. Based on the length of exposed pipe, only one of the seal, first one will connect properly, the 2nd seal will not, not sure if this is enough and if not, not sure what my options are, other than remove tiles, plasterboard etc, that's why I was asking if there were alternatives? cheers

Here you go it doesn't give a exact dimension but there should be 2 o rings one in each groove , the grub screw shouldn't tighten onto the o ring it should grab onto the brass stem , So chances are your a bit short

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-202221.png
    Screenshot_20201220-202221.png
    559.2 KB · Views: 21

Reply to wall mounted tap leaking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock