Search the forum,

Discuss Vokera Unica HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

missnet_1

Hi, I wonder if you could help. My Vokera Unica HE boiler suddently stopped working one day. There was no light on the display at all, no error messages, nothing. The display was totally dead. It looked to me like an electrical problem, maybe a blown fuse. I rang for an engineer who came and claimed that water got into the boiler and damaged the fan. We had it replaced for over £400, but now thinking about it, I am not sure whether we have been told right. I was under the impression that if the fan had actually gone, the display would show an error message, but it did not, it showed nothing. I also noticed the guy had changed a fuse and threw an old one in the bin in the bathroom. I have a feeling it was the fuse that had blown not the fan that was broken and feel l had overpaid. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you

Unfortunately, you've probably been done, but we/you aren't in a position to confirm that.

People like this give our trade a bad name and believe us, we hate it as much as you. There's no wonder people don't trust us. We're not all bad guys.

Unfortunately, you've probably been done, but we/you aren't in a position to confirm that.

People like this give our trade a bad name and believe us, we hate it as much as you. There's no wonder people don't trust us. We're not all bad guys.

It does sound like it

Hi, thank you for a prompt reply. Do you then think it was not the fan that was at fault? I didn't think it could have been the fan, the boiler is only 5 years old; unless it was the fan and the fuse at the same time, is this possible? Also is it possible that a faulty fan would not show an error message?? please confirm. I need some confirmation either way, just to put my mind at ease. Thank you.

I am not sure what had happended. I used the boiler in the morning for the radiators, like I do every morning and evening, I used it to wash up then a few hours later it just went dead. It would not heat the water, the display was dead, no light on it either green or red and no codes, so I thought it was the fuse. I don't know much about electricity but it looked like the boiler was not connected the mains, but it was.

Hi, thank you for a prompt reply. Do you then think it was not the fan that was at fault? I didn't think it could have been the fan, the boiler is only 5 years old; unless it was the fan and the fuse at the same time, is this possible? Also is it possible that a faulty fan would not show an error message?? please confirm. I need some confirmation either way, just to put my mind at ease. Thank you.

It's hard to say for definite but if no power sounds like the fuse had blown but we really can't confirm whether it was the fan that blew it did you see any packaging for the new fan or the old one in bin or anything

The fans are very poor on these and when go take out a fuse if it's shorted, if no short it throws an error code, so he may have changed the fuse and fan, how long was he there? Did he bring a box in approx 10" x 10" ? Did he not show you the old fan?

Hi the guy brought a new fan with him but I didn't see him acutally change it. I wasn't there watching him which I know I should have done. He then left carrying the box with him with a fan inside, don't know which one the old one or the new one. From what you are saying then it could have been the fan that had blown the fuse or it could have just been the fuse alone and we cannot prove anything anyway.... Thank you for your help. At least I got some more understanding of what might have happended. I never thought a fan could have blown a fuse! I am just showing my ignorance here....

There's every chance the fan could've taken out the fuse but we'll never know now. I take it your boilers back up and running.

I know it's shutting the stable door but you could've legitimately asked to see the new and the old fan assemblies. Personally I show my customers everything I replace and ask if they'd like me to dispose of it because, technically, it's their property.

I've a gas valve on a Riello rls50 to change soon, that's 1,200 notes on its own!

Hi, he's been in 45 mins, a little too long to just change a fuse. He did have a box with him he said he had a spare fan in the van and then left with the same box, but I didn't look inside. I wasn't there to look what he'd been up to, I know I should have done, and next time I definitely will.

Hi the guy brought a new fan with him but I didn't see him acutally change it. I wasn't there watching him which I know I should have done. He then left carrying the box with him with a fan inside, don't know which one the old one or the new one. From what you are saying then it could have been the fan that had blown the fuse or it could have just been the fuse alone and we cannot prove anything anyway.... Thank you for your help. At least I got some more understanding of what might have happended. I never thought a fan could have blown a fuse! I am just showing my ignorance here....

No one knows everything. But everyone knows someone who knows something.

And now you know us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all your advice. You're right the guy should have asked me whether I wanted to dispose of the old fan. Like you say it did belong to me and the new one as well. I have learnt something from this exprience. Thankyou again for all your help.

Hi, he's been in 45 mins, a little too long to just change a fuse. He did have a box with him he said he had a spare fan in the van and then left with the same box, but I didn't look inside. I wasn't there to look what he'd been up to, I know I should have done, and next time I definitely will.

had a spare fan in the van... Come off it!

had a spare fan in the van... Come off it!

Tbh round here, there's literally 10 vokeras to every other boiler so its not TOTALLY unfeasible to consider he'd have one as van stock.

If fuse goes again then you can be pretty sure he's done you. If you get a different engineer to come he should be able to tell whether fan is new or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vokera Unica HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
Hi all We have a Vaillant turbomax plus 828e combi which we found powered off a few days ago. Turns out the 2a glass fuse on the PCB had gone. Replaced and it turns back on but as soon as you start the hot water or heating, it pops again within a few seconds I have looked as the pump and can...
Replies
Views
I noticed a few weeks ago that my hot water and heating were not working so I went to check the boiler expecting to see an error code, but on checking, the display was completely off. I could hear the fan running (quite loudly) so I knew there was power going to the boiler. I opened up the...
Replies
Views
I was wondering if anyone can help with this. On servicing a two year old Vokera Unica i28 I carried out combustion analysis checks. The high readings were fine but when I checked on low I was only getting 6% CO2. When I slowly started to adjust the valve I couldn’t get the Co2 anywhere near...
Replies
Views
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock