Search the forum,

Discuss Viper Gas or Bpec training manual? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

markadams

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi,

I will soon be starting a Gas foundation course and would like to do some homework before starting the course. I am wondering if anyone knows if the Bpec manual or The Viper Gas manuals are better?

Or

Maybe someone can recommend something else?

I used the BPEC when I did my reassessments last year, although the college has the NEIC books which were very good.

Thank you,

The course uses the Bpec training material but I think it would be good to get a different perspective so I think I will go for the Viper of NICEIC manuals.

Any opinions about the Viper Manuals?

Not seen Viper, but too be honest, if the college uses bpec, it probably best to go with that. May get confusing otherwise, best if you are all singing from same hymn book so to speak.

Viper are good and have mobile options for your smartphone if that is important.

Viper are good and have mobile options for your smartphone if that is important.

Smartphone, is that one that can make the coffee? If I knew they existed I would have got one long ago :cheesy:

Blake:
Good point about sticking to the same material, I would have thought that the factual information would be the same, just thought it maybe a different/better method of teaching?

When we run foundation courses we allow candidate to take their Bpec book away once they have paid their deposit, on the strict understanding that we won't start answering questions ahead of the course because you read something you don't understand because we haven't covered it yet, it's annoying to be asked these questions at break time from a module 3 or 4 ahead of the whole class, I appreciate people like to study etc but its set out in a logical order for class training so it's obvious you won't understand some stuff till you are taught it

When we run foundation courses we allow candidate to take their Bpec book away once they have paid their deposit, on the strict understanding that we won't start answering questions ahead of the course because you read something you don't understand because we haven't covered it yet, it's annoying to be asked these questions at break time from a module 3 or 4 ahead of the whole class, I appreciate people like to study etc but its set out in a logical order for class training so it's obvious you won't understand some stuff till you are taught it

This is an interesting perspective, I was just trying to read up a little as I have never done any Gas plumbing (several years of water plumbing) and did not want to be left behind.

Out of interest how many days training do your students have for the gas foundation course?

Maybe it would be better for me to start the course and see how I get on??

There's no prob with reading on a bit but TBH it depends why, I've had students who read on just to be smarty pants and quote something the other guys don't know but it just annoys everyone haha
But some people just like to get on and read it, but the issue is it might confuse you
Technically there are 2 foundation courses, 6 months full time split 50:50 classroom:placement doing gas work if you have no previous plumbing quals
If you are a time served plumber you can do the CAT 2 foundation which is 6-8 weeks class with an appropriate time on site building up a portfolio of evidence ( the time scale depends on the type of work you do on placement)

Bpec has stuff wrong in it, Viper is better. But it is what you are forced to use at the training centre that decideds. At Carnegie college we used viper then i moved over to south Lanarkshire college they used BPEC book which i hated. found the writing in bpec to small for when you need to scan in exams.

Hi Buckley Plumb,

It would be great if I could preview them but I have not come across anywhere that has samples, do you know anywhere?

Hi Buckley Plumb,

It would be great if I could preview them but I have not come across anywhere that has samples, do you know anywhere?

no mate wanted to look before i bought always used corgi book but hard to find somethings without reading loads

Well I have ruled out the Bpec book, even the tutor for the course does not recommend it.

I now need to decide between the Corgi books, Viper book or NICIEC book. Any views on which is best?

Mark.

I like the Bpec book, that might be because I use it every day, there are typos in it but I have them listed and the first thing we do is spend 10 minutes going through and changing them so no biggie, I have also used the viper book which I like, and I have seen the NICEIC one which is also good, so it's a straight choice of buying the cheapest NICEIC at the last look, or use the one the training centre uses, for ease of reference
Technically you are meant to use a new clean book for assessments so if you get assessed in a Bpec centre they should give you a new book for the assessment, if you have spent months using another book you will be lost, and surely of you are doing a foundation course you will get a book from them?

I used the one I got from training centre at first but didn't find it user friendly it was a CITB A4 folder job. Whilst I was doing my portfolio and site training I treated myself to R.D Treloar's Gas installation technology book and the viper book, found both of them to be great.
Went back to do my ACS in domestic and training center has since gone onto NICEIC books which from what use I have used seem to be good. Trouble is I have now done my commercial at a different Center and they use the viper book and I'm going back at some point for my LPG company paying for it lucky enough.
I'm also subscribed to viper gas so I use it on my iPad and iPhone and get to keep the viper books upto date.
All this wont help you make a choice really just that my 2 cents says cant go wrong with Treloar's book or viper.

Despite the training centre being a Bpec center, I have been told that I would need to buy my own manual which they recommend the Corgi books but I was wondering if any of the others are layed out better/easier to understand?

Mark.

the bpec books are good cos they contain the complete regs were i dont think the other ones do, I used the bpec books cos they were part of the course and the corgi manual set, didnt need anything more than that.

the bpec books are good cos they contain the complete regs were i dont think the other ones do, I used the bpec books cos they were part of the course and the corgi manual set, didnt need anything more than that.

can you buy the bpec books or do you have to go on bpec course

Niceic all the way.

Not to sure mate to given minion my gsr course, I've got a viper too but much prefer my 2 Niceic .

Hey,all you guys with the Viper book.... ( I'm on BPEC ) is there a section in the CPA chapter on how to make your own flueless accessories from 6mm bundy tube or have I fallen for a 'Joke'
If this info is in this book,,,,, would anyone be able to send to me
Thanks in advance
jon

you can make your owm, you need an 1.8mm drill bit i think. id prefere to buy a cpa1 kit tbh.

im not sure its in the viper book, but i would think its in a BS doc or simular, maybe kirkgas can help.

Hey,all you guys with the Viper book.... ( I'm on BPEC ) is there a section in the CPA chapter on how to make your own flueless accessories from 6mm bundy tube or have I fallen for a 'Joke'
If this info is in this book,,,,, would anyone be able to send to me
Thanks in advance
jon

its in viper and easy to do and saves £100

Id say its whatever you get used to using. I had a viper which i lost and replaced it with a bpec as they set the exams.

i got the niceic books a month or so back and found them to be the best ive come across tbh. Better than the viper and a easier read than the corgi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Viper Gas or Bpec training manual? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock