Search the forum,

Discuss Views on Heat Input - Vaillant EcoFit Pure System boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

EvilDrPorkChop

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
We fit a few Vaillant Ecofit Pure system boilers, usually the case when an old Heat Only boiler goes and we replace with a system rather leaving OV, better all round solution. Ecofits are great as they're rear flues and fit in cupboards.

So when replacing we usually replace like for like in terms of heat input, usually as they're correctly sized and you're tied to what the current gas main is. Many are 15/18kws which are on 22mm runs then the last bits 15mm - fine if boiler is 18kw.

So the Ecofit Pure range if you buy a 18kw boiler it'll actually output 25kw on P.01 mode. This is the only time it'll ever do this or if you use Vaillants own controls to do HW priority. It'll only ever output 18kw on heating or when in Chimney sweep mode.

So my question really is, how would you size your gas pipe? If you're fitting what's advertised to do 18kw, it'll only do 18kw in heating mode (And for instance if you're replacing an 18kw boiler) but it'll do 25kw in p.01 test mode then what should you be sizing your gas pipe for? My argument is really that you would size it to 18kw but i'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks?

Luckily on all the ones i've fitted it's been just within the inlet allowable range. It did puzzle me on my first one why it was 25kw and not 18kw when I gas rated! Should add that this only applies the to EcoFit range and not any of the EcoTec Plus system ones.

Reactions: Lou
Problem is when commisoning the boiler it's going to ask you to put into maximum rate using p.01 mode. If you can't reach the desired operating pressure during commisoning then you can't properly commsion the boiler. You've also got a potential future problem if the customer upgrades their controls to the vsmart and you haven't put a large enough gas pipe in then the boiler could be under gassed. For me id be putting a 22mm supply in at point of install instead of risking getting called back to do it in the future.

Maximum gas usage so maximum input for me

The Vaillant Controls when paired with their wiring centers. It'll allow HW priority in with them controls, hence the 25kws for quicker reheat. The 25kw version actually will do 30kw! Bit a of headache when all you really want to do is replace like for like.

On the bottom on the boiler it'll actually shows like it would on a Vaillant combi. E.g Radiator = 18kw. Tap = 25kw.

@ShaunCorbs I'd usually agree but i'm not overly sure on this one?

If it's never going to be used for that purpose then surely you could argue the boiler is 18kw. Especially when it says 618 on the front of it!

I have been looking for a bit of info on this as it would be handy for an upcoming job
15/18kw heating and more when the unvented cylinder needs reheating
I can’t find anything about it on the vaillant website or in the pure MIs

I have been looking for a bit of info on this as it would be handy for an upcoming job
15/18kw heating and more when the unvented cylinder needs reheating
I can’t find anything about it on the vaillant website or in the pure MIs
It'll work when using Vaillant Controls and their own wiring centre (A VR66) as it'll do HW priority. The increased output only applies to the pure range, and i'm not sure if it only applies to the system boiler range as I've not done any Heat Only Pures.

I'm not sure whether you need the cylinder temperature probe (Vaillant VR10) or not for it to do the increased output however If you are using a VR66 it would make sense as you can control the temperature of the cylinder with the boiler. - Vaillant said you can't use the probe with other cylinders however I have but as a fail safe I have left the high limit stat wired in with the zone valve so if the probe fails the high limit will still as a cut out.

You can then set the KW output in HW priority (Under the D. settings) to suit what your coil is. The MegaFlo cylinders will do 24kw I know but I think some others are less.

I have HW priority on my own system that i've wired myself - it does help reheat times especially in winter.

Hope that's of help?

As a side line to my original question - I was looking at the data plate the other day on one I was servicing. And it says in small print the High Output is ONLY when using the Vaillant controls to use the HW output function. Guess thats make your own interpretation of the output? :rolleyes: 😂

Reply to Views on Heat Input - Vaillant EcoFit Pure System boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock