Discuss Upgrading pipe sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm about to have my hot and cold water pipes upgraded from 22mm poly to 28mm copper. This is to resolve the flow restriction to multiple shower outlets. There's approx 15m of pipe for each hot and cold leading to the bathrooms which will all be upgraded to 28mm. However, the megaflo inlet and outlet remain at 22mm. My understanding is that this is fine - the increase in pipe size anywhere on the circuit will reduce the overall pressure loss and increase the flow - can someone please confirm this for me?

I also have the option of having my megaflo 22mm PRV replaced to a 28mm, as well as a small section (maybe half a metre) of 25mm MDPE upgraded to 32mm MDPE. My incoming main is 32mm MDPE. It sounds like the effect of these would be negligible if what I assumed above is correct, but again, any pointers, as having it done all at once would be more cost effective. My water softener is 22mm (high flow kit), but is stated to work at 54 l/min, so this would remain straight after my mains anyway.

Thanks!

Yes increasing the hot and cold supplies from 22- 28mm should help to resolve the drop in flow rate when using multiple shower outlets provided the flow from the incoming mains supply is sufficient and the water softener isn't reducing the flow which it shouldn't if it works at 54 L/min.
What flow do you have on the incoming mains?
Also test all of the shower outlets with the softener bypassed to see if this is making a difference.
Another option would be to run separate hot and cold supplies in 22mm to each shower.
If you do increase to 28mm you should have a bronze pump for a secondary hot water supply.

Can only confirm the increase in water wasted waiting for hot water. Without seeing whats what.

also if you havent put a secondary return in

Your incoming mains flow rate is the most important thing here, no point upgrading if you're only getting 15 litres a minute, I imagine with a 32mm MDPE it is quite substantial though.

Your incoming mains flow rate is the most important thing here, no point upgrading if you're only getting 15 litres a minute, I imagine with a 32mm MDPE it is quite substantial though.

Spot on, check your incoming water main dynamic flow rate first before spending money on pipe reruns.

If you have already done this then what is it?

Last night I measured the flow rate from both outside taps running at the same time. It's hard to measure and I'll do a more substantial test (much larger bucket) on the weekend, but I achieved 25l/m from both taps (so 50 l/m) . I also measured the pressure from a washing machine outlet (after my 3 bar megaflo prv) and got just over 1 bar pressure, with both taps running. Static pressure before the prv is 4 bar.

Just now I measured the dynamic pressure on my shower hose outlet with the shower running. The gauge showed just over half a bar. This ties in with the showers MI which quotes 16 l/m at 0.5 bar. Static pressure at the shower is 2.5 bar.

Am I right in saying that increasing the pipe diameter will lower the pressure loss and give a greater dynamic pressure at the shower?

Last edited:
And yes, plan is to run a 22mm secondary return at the same time and fully insulate all hot pipes.

Last night I measured the flow rate from both outside taps running at the same time. It's hard to measure and I'll do a more substantial test (much larger bucket) on the weekend, but I achieved 25l/m from both taps (so 50 l/m) . I also measured the pressure from a washing machine outlet (after my 3 bar megaflo prv) and got just over 1 bar pressure, with both taps running.

Unless I`m missing something all your flow rates are now reduced from what you said before, am I missing something and apologises if I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upgrading pipe sizes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
We're in the process of doing grounds work for a new garden office, and unfortunately my go-to plumber is away and uncontactable at present. We...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am in the process of renovating a property and have the floorboards up installing cabling etc, however it is the plumbing that I have...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock