Discuss Upgrading old system. Need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amps

Hi guy's. I'm trying to upgrade my old system by zoning off upstairs downstairs and the hot water tank. At the moment they are all fed from the one feed pipe and all back into a single return. I want to try using motorized valves and a 3 zone controler. My problem is that i want to try make use of the back boiler in the fireplace to without letting the heat from the centrel heating system circulate through the back boiler. I have a dual coil cylinder which i am going to fit. should i just run the back boiler through the second coil and only use it to heat water. I want to try use the heat from the fire to heat the rads if possible.
The plumber i got to look at it suggested a system link box would make all this possible but its about 300 quid and i'm not sure of the advantage of using it. Any idea where i could source one cheaper or ideas on the best way to go about redoing the system. Oh and what would i expect to pay a sparks to wire up the new controls. he wont have to run any new wire's as i will do all the prep work

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 41
from looking at the picture, i dont quite understand how your back boiler is connected> is a wrap round back boiler or is just a wee copper back boiler for domestic hot water.

there is a few ways to connect a back boiler to a zoned system without a use of a link box but you have to pay for these skills and well if done wrong it can turn your back boiler into a ticking bomb

Sorry should have labeled the pipes. There coming in from the left handside. Flow is on the bottom with the circulating pump and return is half way up. If you think it's safer to just use the link box then it's something I will spend the money on as I will probably put in a stove with a back boiler and I want to get as much heat as I can from that into the rads. I'm thinking this is gonna cost me a few quid. Rats

you dont need the system link box if you get the right plumber. I install stoves all the time and they require a bit of skill to install with gravity circulaters from the stove to the cylinder and pumped connected from your stove to your radiators a fair bit of pipework but the same amount will be required with system link box.
Im from northern ireland so probably no good to you but if you get the right plumber they should be able to update your heating system no probs and connect your stove up to your radiators safe and sound without the use of the system link box.

Any idea where I could get a drawing of a link box. If I knew the lay out I could probably machine one myself in the machine shop

I think this is what you mean

[DLMURL="http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm"]dunsleyheat uk manufacturers of multifuel stoves, range cookers, boilers...[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upgrading old system. Need advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock